Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smell of Gas

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
No - never happened to me. Do you turn off the gas bottle and the rotating switch next to the back seat before driving?

Lizziekenn

No - never happened to me. Do you turn off the gas bottle and the rotating switch next to the back seat before driving?
To be honest we turn the gas off at the bottle as soon as we’ve stopped using it (because of the smell). But not the rotating switch.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I believe it is recommended to turn both off before travel. I think the gas compartment is sealed and if you haven’t turned off the rotating tap I wonder if you are getting the gas that remains in the pipe travelling back down to the gas compartment? Others who are more knowledgeable than I am may be able to advise.

Lizziekenn

Thanks. Once the gas bottle is switched off it seems to be ok, it is when we leave it on, and the van is stationary, that we can smell it. We just wanted to check what everyone else is able to do - do people leave the bottle on all the time it is parked up?

Epigram

Always best to turn off at cylinder when driving and overnight but should not smell i.e. leak if left on.
Check the regulator connections/ unions around your gas bottle.
On collection from dealer mine were finger tight and leaked when the gas bottle was connected. N.B. One is a left hand thread.(see the manual) MB tell you to loosen these connections when fitting the bottle which is potentially unsafe because they don’t tell you how to check for leaks.
I am sure a plumber will tell me off, but check with some soap solution around the connections.
Also one of the cooker taps might not be turning off properly.

Report Edit