Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof not working, alarm when charging

Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Hi,
Having been using the roof fine for a few days now, I went to put it up and nothing happened (following all usual steps).

I plugged the van in to charge in case low battery was he issue, but this caused an alarm to sound. No ignition was on when charging so presumably not the driveaway alert, I have no ideas what was causing the alarm? The leisure battery appeared to be charging and now shows as full. However, the roof is still totally unresponsive. I have checked the fuses, that's not the issue.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions? I can't find any similar issues on here. Thanks

Last edited:

SteveR

Hi and welcome to the forum
I assume your ignition key is in position 2 when you attempt to open the roof?

On a side note, you may wish to remove your postcode from your profile

Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Thanks Steve - hadn't realised my postcode was on there, now updated!

Yep ignition on position 2. Roof worked fine yesterday morning, put it down as usual, went out for the day, then when I went to put it up in the afternoon nothing happened... it's odd that plugging in to charge is also setting off an alarm. I'm going to call MB this morning, we are away at the moment so not being able to use to roof will cause a few sleeping issues....!

SteveR

Have you checked your fuses?
It does seem a little too coincidental though that the charging alarm has also appeared at the same time as the roof issue. I would guess that if you can find the reason for the charge alarm it may help to 'fix' the roof

Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Yep checked the roof fuse and all the others located with it, all are ok. I agree, very coincidental both issues started on the same day. The mechanic couldn't find an obvious cause so now to start calling MB dealers to see if one might be able to fit us in...

SteveR

Does the central control panel show the roof as 'Closed'?
Also, when the alarm went off, was this when you plugged in the electric or when you attempted to open the roof?

In the meantime I've attached some snippets from the manual. You've probably already read but attached should you need it. Sorry I cannot be more help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 15.36.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 15.36.16.png
    320 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 15.36.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 15.36.25.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 14
Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Yep the control panel shows the roof as closed, which went down no problem at all. When I try and put the roof up nothing happens at all, the motor doesn't kick in, no alarm.

The alarm I mentioned goes off as soon as I plug it in. It's like the pull away alarm mentioned in the book that you've pictured, except it goes off with no keys in the ignition at all, so the cause of it must be something else.

I'm a bit stumped, I don't have high hopes for the dealer fitting me in at short notice while we are travelling, but you never know. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

SteveR

The only reference I can find to an alarm based on an electrical issue is the driveaway alarm. Aside from that have you tried to raise the roof both with and without the 240v cable attached?
Also, are the other consumers e.g. the fridge still working? I'm wondering if your battery may not be holding it's charge as if it drops below 10.5v the control panel will turn off the fridge followed by the roof I believe.

Aside from that I've run out of things to suggest other than starting from scratch and disconnecting and reconnecting everything and trying once more.

Epigram

The wind has woken me up and I have started thinking about your problem !
No power is going to the screwjacks so I wonder whether the control panel has become “confused” and/or a relay stuck. .
It‘s clutching at straws but perhaps resetting the control panel might help. I think there are posts on this somewhere but from memory you disconnect the leisure battery then reconnect it after a good few minutes.
I would then be minded to run the engine, with the external hook up removed, check the battery voltage and try raising the roof.
Its small consolation but if it is as windy where you are,you are better off with the roof down anyway.
Hope you find a dealer that can sort it for you.

Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Thanks, I think this is worth a try. It is as though no power is going to the roof, it makes no difference if I try with it plugged in or not, yet all other electrics - fridge, seats etc, are working fine. One of the MB dealers has agreed to take a quick look this morning, if they don't come up with anything I'll have a go with this.

Ha yes, I was thinking we probably wouldn't have had the rood up last night anyway, it's so windy!

Mike68

Mike68

VIP Member
Hi Mike did you get your roof issue resolved. Mine is doing the same
Hi Derek, MB eventually fixed it but it took weeks. They couldn't work out what the problem was, so the dealer had to keep calling MB in Germany to try different things out. They didn't go into detail what the issue was, other than it was an electrical fault. It's been absolutely fine since they fixed it. I hope you get yours sorted soon!

Derekfish

Hi Derek, MB eventually fixed it but it took weeks. They couldn't work out what the problem was, so the dealer had to keep calling MB in Germany to try different things out. They didn't go into detail what the issue was, other than it was an electrical fault. It's been absolutely fine since they fixed it. I hope you get yours sorted soon!
Thanks Mike, awaiting to hear back this afternoon! What dealership did the repairs? Might be able to help out.