Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear shelf mechanism not working - any ideas?

maurooo

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.
The small lock that keeps the rear shelf in place turns but does not release the the shelf structure.
I cannot lift or remove the tube.

Any ideas on how I can release the mechanism?
I need to carry a few large items and it would be best if I was able to remove the entire shelf.

Thanks!

Mauro

Epigram

My guess is the teeth on the back of the knob that you turn to release the shelf have become damaged and it is not engaging.
A similar thing happened to me when I dropped the shelf from its upper position and stripped the gears. Luckily for me the knob popped out and the “gear teeth” were only stripped on one side. I was able to put the knob back in to release the shelf.
The part cost close to £30 to replace under warranty so I am now much more careful !

maurooo

Thanks for your help!
I’ll see if I can get it unstuck somehow.
If I succeed, maybe I will try to remove the piece and leave the shelf sitting there without lock.
We’ll see.

Thanks again!

m

gvh

I personally find it a real niggle that you can't raise the rear shelf from the inside without opening the rear hatch. It's a pain when you're sleeping downstairs but then have to pop out of the van to get something that's just under the shelf. With the door closed there's no room to raise the flap, even if you could get your hand to it.

I wonder if it's possible to come up with some sort of release mechanism that would work from the inside without removing the locking facility altogether?

Epigram

I personally find it a real niggle that you can't raise the rear shelf from the inside without opening the rear hatch. It's a pain when you're sleeping downstairs but then have to pop out of the van to get something that's just under the shelf. With the door closed there's no room to raise the flap, even if you could get your hand to it.

I wonder if it's possible to come up with some sort of release mechanism that would work from the inside without removing the locking facility altogether?
There are two parts that lift up:
The heavy support frame that requires turning the knob which cannot be released from inside. This supports the canvass bag if it hasn’t been put in the loft or thrown away! when lifted this frame is not self supporting and moves upwards as far as the back seat. You need to do this to get at the jack etc.. Mercedes expect you to hold it up with a strap they provide wrapped around the right rear headrest. This is how I managed to drop mine and break the knob!
The second is the upholstered bed base that contains the outside table and raises up to about 45 degrees on a ratchet.
If you want to sit up in bed without going outside you could attach a strap ( or the one Mercedes provide) to this and bring it inside. You can then pull the mattress to read in bed etc. without going outside. Needless to say you have to pull it up to its uppermost ~45 degrees before it will lower.
I have checked this works in principle by attaching a stap to the stored table under the mattress support. I don’t recommend doing this as a permanent arrangement because it will put a strain on the table legs or the retaining clips - both prohibitively expensive to repair or replace. A more permanent arrangement attach a strap under the rubber pads each side of the bed frame or bolt it to the frame.

gvh

Ah, we have the Horizon model with no kitchen, so no strap and no table/chairs in the back.

I'm off on a trip in the van next week, I think I will take a cargo strap along with me as I'll have time to experiment!!

maurooo

My guess is the teeth on the back of the knob that you turn to release the shelf have become damaged and it is not engaging.
A similar thing happened to me when I dropped the shelf from its upper position and stripped the gears. Luckily for me the knob popped out and the “gear teeth” were only stripped on one side. I was able to put the knob back in to release the shelf.
The part cost close to £30 to replace under warranty so I am now much more careful !
Thank you Epigram. You are right.
I was able to remove the piece and the teeth / gears are completely damaged.
I think this is really poor design. One piece has metal gears and the other plastic ones?
Of course it was going to get damaged...

See photo attached.

Thanks for your help

Mauro

Attachments

• IMG_1024D.jpeg
    IMG_1024D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Epigram

Yes. Neiter robust and nor cheap to replace.
On the subject of poor Mercedes quality:
Be careful with the electric window lift switches. They look cast metal but are silver coated plastic and can break if pulled up hard. Mercedes don’t provide them individually, only the complete switch unit. You won’t get much change out of 150 pounds.

alltorque

There are two parts that lift up:
The heavy support frame that requires turning the knob which cannot be released from inside. This supports the canvass bag if it hasn’t been put in the loft or thrown away! when lifted this frame is not self supporting and moves upwards as far as the back seat. You need to do this to get at the jack etc.. Mercedes expect you to hold it up with a strap they provide wrapped around the right rear headrest. This is how I managed to drop mine and break the knob!
The second is the upholstered bed base that contains the outside table and raises up to about 45 degrees on a ratchet.
If you want to sit up in bed without going outside you could attach a strap ( or the one Mercedes provide) to this and bring it inside. You can then pull the mattress to read in bed etc. without going outside. Needless to say you have to pull it up to its uppermost ~45 degrees before it will lower.
I have checked this works in principle by attaching a stap to the stored table under the mattress support. I don’t recommend doing this as a permanent arrangement because it will put a strain on the table legs or the retaining clips - both prohibitively expensive to repair or replace. A more permanent arrangement attach a strap under the rubber pads each side of the bed frame or bolt it to the frame.
great idea for the bed - will give it a go!