Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door won’t function

NickB

We’re in France on our first big trip. Staying near Toulouse with friends tonight, planning on going to Atlantic coast tomorrow. Tried to open rear door to pack near a hedge so door stopped half way. I tried to shut it manually and moved car forward a foot or so. Now door is in half locked position and won’t either open or close electrically or manually. Manual not helping me at this time. Completely unclear about tailgate release catch “for service purposes “. Anyone any experience here? Btw it’s extraordinarily hot here tonight!

NickB

We’re in France on our first big trip. Staying near Toulouse with friends tonight, planning on going to Atlantic coast tomorrow. Tried to open rear door to pack near a hedge so door stopped half way. I tried to shut it manually and moved car forward a foot or so. Now door is in half locked position and won’t either open or close electrically or manually. Manual not helping me at this time. Completely unclear about tailgate release catch “for service purposes “. Anyone any experience here? Btw it’s extraordinarily hot here tonight!
Have had to contact Mercedes Benz but so far no response from French agents after 2 hrs plus...

NickB

Hi Steve, I’ve tried to prise off the cover. What’s underneath it doesn’t appear to me to be a lever, looks more like a light. The instructions are indeed a bit crap… Still no response from Mercedes assistance either

SteveR

Have you tried resetting the opening angle? i.e. press and hold the button until it sounds twice

SteveR

Hi Steve, I’ve tried to prise off the cover. What’s underneath it doesn’t appear to me to be a lever, looks more like a light. The instructions are indeed a bit crap… Still no response from Mercedes assistance either
Actually, the more I re-read those instructions, I think they refer to if your tailgate is stuck closed to unlock and open it

NickB

Hi Steve, just to be clear, the tail gate is closed, though not on its second catch just the first. I cannot push it fully closed, and I cannot open it. There appears to be no way to get into the back of the van, the window is locked also. And still Mercedes-Benz have not responded… But your help very welcome! Thanks

I didn't think there were two latches for the tailgate.

The glass door won't unlock if the main tailgate isn't down.

Have you tried giving it a rear good shove closed?

Similarish - sort of - happened to mine - would go to close then bounce back to fully open. Managed to force it shut by standing in front of it as it went to raise and it then it stalled and would go back down to close and lock. took it back to mb who told the other half that they ‘reset it’. All appears fine now. So the above reset instructions may work.

Mb manual page attached suggests try fuse or if not manually open process detailed.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 458A833B-7B90-4B81-8997-D59AEC7FC2EB.jpeg
    458A833B-7B90-4B81-8997-D59AEC7FC2EB.jpeg
    892.5 KB · Views: 41

SteveR

Hi Steve, just to be clear, the tail gate is closed, though not on its second catch just the first. I cannot push it fully closed, and I cannot open it. There appears to be no way to get into the back of the van, the window is locked also. And still Mercedes-Benz have not responded… But your help very welcome! Thanks

Hi Steve, I’ve tried to prise off the cover. What’s underneath it doesn’t appear to me to be a lever, looks more like a light.

Are we talking about the same cover? I believe it is the one attached (note the tailgate icon on the cover too). Could be fun getting to it though from the inside but it must be possible, albeit with a squeeze.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 09.08.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 09.08.16.png
    885.2 KB · Views: 19

NickB

Currently at Merc dealer In Carcassonne- Merc 24 hr callout came for an hour at midnight last night but unable to help! My command of French language being tested beyond its limit, next step google translate... Could be funny but not quite yet!

ding33

Having the issue described above with the boot bouncing up when closing. Tried the described reset but didn’t work. Anyone else had same issue and any idea how to sort?

NickB

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your trip
We got it fixed in Carcassonne- it was a fuse. (No further detail I’m afraid).Got on our way again after 1 pm and now at Fouras near ile d’Oleron. Highly recommend camping les Cadorets and dinner in the town. But it’s hot! Touched 44.5 deg C near Bordeaux on the autoroute, though Marco Polo aircon fab. Wish I could put it on now though!

Steve B

I've not had reason to look in the fuse boxes, a mad question but are there any spares in there? There are quite a few cases of blown fuses, better get some I think