Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Project camper window blinds

The fat controller

Morning all

Couple of points on blinds now that I'm starting to think about accessories for my (hopefully) impending arrival.

Firstly the impression I've got from reviews and opinions on the MP is that the integrated blinds are a bit 'gappy' and not great at keeping the light out, is that consistent with people's experience? I'll be sleeping downstairs with kids up top so critical to our enjoyment is that none of us wake too early!

Secondly, pre empting that, does anyone have experice of the 'project camper' internal blinds? I'll try to work out how to post a link... They look great and I've read many positive reviews on the cali forum but with so many variables would be interested if anyone can advise on which options will fit - seems to hinge on whether there is metal exposed around the windows for magnetic attachment or not.

Any input much appreciated!

Phil

https://www.project-camper.de/

SteveR

Morning all

Couple of points on blinds now that I'm starting to think about accessories for my (hopefully) impending arrival.

Firstly the impression I've got from reviews and opinions on the MP is that the integrated blinds are a bit 'gappy' and not great at keeping the light out, is that consistent with people's experience? I'll be sleeping downstairs with kids up top so critical to our enjoyment is that none of us wake too early!

Secondly, pre empting that, does anyone have experice of the 'project camper' internal blinds? I'll try to work out how to post a link... They look great and I've read many positive reviews on the cali forum but with so many variables would be interested if anyone can advise on which options will fit - seems to hinge on whether there is metal exposed around the windows for magnetic attachment or not.

Any input much appreciated!

Phil

https://www.project-camper.de/
Hi Phil,

I don't have an issue with the internal blinds but if you were particular, then yes, you could maybe see through a slight gap or maybe let light in perhaps. It has never bothered me to be honest.

I do have the project camper magnetic blinds for the front cab only and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. They fit in literally less than a minute. The doors keep out 100% light and the windscreen maybe 98%. They even provide small triangular pieces for the small windows by the 'A' pillar. I know they do a kit for the remaining windows so would imagine these are equally as good
Hope this is useful

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I don't have 1st hand experience as my van is also pending, but from what I've seen I think the light coming through the very pale coloured pop top bellows will be much more of a problem than that from the slightly 'gappy' blinds
Internal blinds like you've seen (they do look good) if well fitted will totally blackout but they are primarily use is for insulation. I have similar in my present van and only use them through the winter. Another thing to keep in mind is storage, you have to stow them somewhere during the day and find space to pack them along with all the other camping gubbins when traveling. I'd wait and see how it goes when you've had a trial run.

FWIW my 2nd accessory will be an external cab window screen as I don't like the 'curtain' setup in the MP. Good blackout and no internal condensation. I've always used 'Silver Screens" but unfortunately they don't make one for the MP so I think it will be a Rainbow Screen.

I already have the 1st, a Sea to Summit SIM for the downstairs bed, packs down small compared with memory foam and the like and is very comfortable. Two things go to make a good van, comfortable drive and a good nights sleep;)

The fat controller

Thanks for the replies.

Steve, good to hear you'd recommend that product. My instinct is to see how it goes, the argument against being tat everything is taking such a long time to arrive from Europe atm and I can only imagine that being worse in the middle of summer.

SBD thanks for the perspective. It's true that packing space would be a concern. What deterrs me about external screens is the potential to have to pack away wet. Am I overestimating how often this will happen?! Ps we are obviously on the same page as the STS SIM was my 2nd item - after bike rack - arrives tomorrow!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Atera Strada?

Yes packing away wet is a negative as is taking them off if you need to make a quick getaway. Never had that problem as I tend not to wild camp in dubious areas. They are easier to dry than say a tent, you can towel them dry, I never found the wet an issue.

You can fold the screen down in the morning and it can stay there if your static for a few days. I hated removing the internal windscreen one every morning and having to mop down the screen, a particular problem in cold weather.

I personally feel the external ones are better for insulation, but there are others who much prefer internal ones.

The STS Camper is hard to find, I got mine from Germany but had to pay a premium now we'er non EU, well worth it though.

The fat controller

Atera Strada?

Yes packing away wet is a negative as is taking them off if you need to make a quick getaway. Never had that problem as I tend not to wild camp in dubious areas. They are easier to dry than say a tent, you can towel them dry, I never found the wet an issue.

You can fold the screen down in the morning and it can stay there if your static for a few days. I hated removing the internal windscreen one every morning and having to mop down the screen, a particular problem in cold weather.

I personally feel the external ones are better for insulation, but there are others who much prefer internal ones.

The STS Camper is hard to find, I got mine from Germany but had to pay a premium now we'er non EU, well worth it though.
OK so it seems like a choice between wet from rain or wet from condensation I guess?! Given costs involved I'll gladly take on board your comments and hang fire. It'll be our first camper so really just feeling our way at the moment.

Heard many good things about the altera strada but I've gone for the tailgate option as I'll be using my MP to transport the bike around quite frequently.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
The Atera deserves it's reputation, used it on a Transporter with tail gate, replaced with a van with barn doors and it didn't allow the doors to open so sold it.

Good idea to wait, especially for the side and rear windows as I feel you won't need them. More important is the cab windows where I think you will have to decide on internal or external sooner or later.

Good luck with your first excursion into camper vans, enjoy yourselves and remember, most people find their ideal van is their 3rd one :)

Steve B

Agree with SteveR, the blinds are fine, not perfect, but very useable and privacy is fine as you have to try hard to look in from the outside. You do get more light in from the pop top unless you have a wrap of some sort. With camping, you are up with the light rather than the alarm anyway, so not an issue. I have an external screen cover and have had to pack away wet a few times, but I just take it out when i get home and dry it out. Its just what you fine most suits you, internal/external both work. Hope this helps

Epigram

As Steve B says, it’s much lighter up top. It’s also and colder and noisier.
Much depends on when and where you camp and how you like to sleep.
In summer months I much prefer to be up top so that I can wake to the dawn chorus, after which I turn over, put my head under the covers and doze for a few hours until a cup of tea arrives - or nature calls.
There are benefits of the extra insulation of external covers especially if you are staying in one place, don’t mind the packing and have storage space.
Internal screens are quicker to remove. They can be stowed away under the top mattress and the van ventilated while having breakfast to get rid of the inevitable windscreen condensation.
Everyone has different needs and preferences which can change according to location and circumstances.

Last night’s storm reminded me of a night in Alsace a few years ago:
Our mobile “rain magnet“ was up to its usual tricks and we were spending the night in a spectacular electrical storm with almost continuous thunder and lightning.
I was laying in the upstairs bed enjoying the display when I thought about the possibly of a lightning strike. I was temporarily consoled by the thought of being in a Faraday cage - remember Richard Hammond in the Top Gear car struck by lightning episode!
My comfort was short lived. I realised a Faraday cage must have a continuous conductor arond the object to protect it and it wasn’t complete - the roof is fibreglass with two metal struts either side of the canvas which were probably more like lightning conductors.
Had lightning struck there might have been some interesting roof blisters for MB to fix!

SteveR

....You do get more light in from the pop top unless you have a wrap of some sort....
Yep, exactly this.
I have a pop-top cover which is a doddle to fit, maybe ten minutes max, and take down and insulates the top very well and is almost like having blackout curtains up top
Only real downside is as mentioned above, i.e. you need to stash it away somewhere when travelling and you may have to pack it away damp.

The fat controller

OK thanks all. Some food for thought there. I think I'm now leaning towards getting a cab set of the project camper blinds (the MP curtain arrangement does look fiddly - although I'm sure you get the hang of it with practise) only for the time being. Given they are quite expensive I won't rush into any more than that. As far as the top goes I'll see how my boys get on. Hopefully they will be too worn out to be up with the birds but we will see...

BobbyMillar

To echo the above, I'd advise a wait and see approach.
We find the built in rear window blinds more than adequate and you'd have to have your face pressed right up against the glass to actually 'see' anything inside (and it be dark with the lights on inside as the tints are very good).
We are using the MP curtain currently. Its fine once you have done it a few times and no harder than our previous insulation interior set on our last camper. I think less is more (we have 2 kids so take lots of extra 'stuff') and with a diesel heater to keep the chill off on cold nights I don't think the downstairs needs anything additional to lug around unless your camping in the Alps in winter.

We are considering a thermal/blackout for the top (interior or external??) to help keep the kids warm and darker but I also need to weigh this up with a DIY tube and fan for moving the hot air up. But these decisions can be made over the summer as the number of nights camping increases. Over the last 6yrs of campervan adventures we've witnessed many people who rush out to buy a 'must have' to then discover the reality was worse than the glossy photo and it sits in a garage gathering dust.

cyrus799

Zy Blinds are what I use. It's simple to install and has a beautiful appearance. Raising and lowering the shade is simple, and the cordless design provides a neat, clean appearance. Because these blinds are built to order, you must understand how to measure RV blinds. It implies you'll have to supply the manufacturer with accurate measurements of your windows.