Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof problem

PamJ

My pop up roof has had a problem with its locking mechanism not engaging today. I was on a reasonably flat pitch and it just wouldn’t go down without alarming, despite me being neurotic about checking bellows and how it was folding etc.
After a lot of upping and downing of the roof mechanism, moving the vehicle a few yards etc it did then close with a clunk and after driving home I tried it again on my fairly flat drive and this time my hubby had to manually press on the roof to engage the catch, again with a clunk.
I don’t think it’s pilot error but as I travel on my own in my Marco Polo I would appreciate any ideas or experience of this problem before I get stranded somewhere. Most pitches are not spirit level flat after all. Thanks.

BabaJen

It's a camper so it must have designed into it tolerances for not being level. Westfalia have been at this since wheels first started turning so I think you can discount the angle at which you are parked up.

I'm not a technically adept person, putting it mildly, but it does sound as though it is not catching in the locking mechanism. It really does need a dealer to look at it as not being able to lock the roof is quite a fundamental problem.

Roy C

My drive has a slight slope and the camp site pitch I had at the weekend was also not completely level but the roof went up and down on both with no problems. My roof does make a final clunk as it fully closes. It sounds like you might have a problem though so I think back to the dealer.....

A

Ash

VIP Member
Hi All, I have a 2017 Marco polo and the Electric pop up roof symbol is not showing on the control panel. Any one have any ideas please?

J

j200george

VIP Member
Does the lcd screen show the voltage of the battery? If so is it less than 10.5V?

could it be that the fuse has blown, fuse 6 (from looking at the manual) protects the electric pop up roof. Maybe it’s become dislodged? My logic is that of that circuit has failed then the control panel will not detect the circuit and not display that function.

I may be totally wrong though. C6F150A6-07F8-4BE5-84DB-309B22863B8E.png

Last edited:
A

Ash

VIP Member
Good Morning, thanks for all your help. The voltage is showing 13.4v. I will have a look at he the fuse this morning.

A

Ash

VIP Member
Anyone know where the battery for the electric are on the MP?

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Anyone know where the battery for the electric are on the MP?
Both starter and leisure batteries are under the driver & front passenger seat - if you search the forum, there should be some photos (have a look for solar and or battery charger connection)

J

j200george

VIP Member
I think under the passenger and driver seat
Have a trawl through the manual HERE

J

j200george

VIP Member
@Ash

how’d you get on? What was the root cause of the issue?

Gedtin

Hi all, I have had exactly the same problem after having had the MP roof replaced (now on third roof). I have only just got the van back and on the third time of raising the roof, the drivers side locking mechanism failed to enter the part where the microswitch is. The van cannot be driven with the roof down so on advice from Mercedes I called assist and the RAC chap attended. After much raising and lowering the RAC chap moved the bar that should engage with the microswitch to the same approximate position of the passenger side. The roof closed but with lots of clunking. The van is back with Mercedes now and I am waiting for an update. I will post what they find.

Hi all, I have had exactly the same problem after having had the MP roof replaced (now on third roof). I have only just got the van back and on the third time of raising the roof, the drivers side locking mechanism failed to enter the part where the microswitch is. The van cannot be driven with the roof down so on advice from Mercedes I called assist and the RAC chap attended. After much raising and lowering the RAC chap moved the bar that should engage with the microswitch to the same approximate position of the passenger side. The roof closed but with lots of clunking. The van is back with Mercedes now and I am waiting for an update. I will post what they find.
Did they find anything ? recently my nearside plastic part that engages with the locking bar snapped when closing and I have had to kid the control unit by wedging the micro switch closed, the van is in tomorrow for a coat of looking at

Gedtin

The roof was adjusted by Mercedes, but it took more than a few attempts to get the roof fitted and adjusted correctly. Just to be clear I take great care when closing the roof. I close up to the first stop and then check the material is closing correctly on all sides before closing the remainder of the way. I am satisfied that I could not do more to keep the roof in good condition. The roof still jolts occasionally when approaching the locking point (something that absolutely did not happen when the car was new).

TheDon

My pop up roof has had a problem with its locking mechanism not engaging today. I was on a reasonably flat pitch and it just wouldn’t go down without alarming, despite me being neurotic about checking bellows and how it was folding etc.
After a lot of upping and downing of the roof mechanism, moving the vehicle a few yards etc it did then close with a clunk and after driving home I tried it again on my fairly flat drive and this time my hubby had to manually press on the roof to engage the catch, again with a clunk.
I don’t think it’s pilot error but as I travel on my own in my Marco Polo I would appreciate any ideas or experience of this problem before I get stranded somewhere. Most pitches are not spirit level flat after all. Thanks.
Hi, I had that issue after 2 weeks touring. Had alarm all the way home !! Cleaned everything around the roof gullies and lightly greased catches where it grabs the roof. I have put the roof up and down several times since and seems to have
cured it.

Merc Whitefield sorted my roof issue out today it was out of sync and indicated open.
Andy the Technician was exceptional and very conversant with the components, operation and emergency operation facility. It is well worth considering using them for those that develop roof problems.