Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pointless refactoring and irrelevant technology

Method7

So I’ve had this gripe for years about: “just because you can it doesn’t mean you should”

it sort of started with ABS and I will clarify my position on that later but I just wanted to float this topic since reading about the new dipstick thread, I didn’t want to polite with my irrelevant rant so thought I would open up a discussion on how you chaps feel about whatever comes up here. I guess the door is open on dipsticks and ABS..

So I never had ABS before about 2005 when I purchased a 8 year old V280, in fact that van was relatively packed with tech I had never used before - electric windows, cruise control, central locking, and electric heated mirrors with the latter being a revaluation, I bet you have all forgotten and completely overlook the genius behind a heated mirror, by far my favourite and the only one of these I would choose if they were options.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Couldn't believe the dipstick thread so did a bit or research and found some MB's have been minus dipstick for 10yrs!!

Why is there so many threads here on operating functions with a phone? Kept hearing mention of 'Mercedes Me' so had a search around and have just downloaded it, What is that all about:rolleyes:

I could go on but I'm busy trying to work out how to operate the heating and ventilation system:D

Grand Tourismo

So I’ve had this gripe for years about: “just because you can it doesn’t mean you should”
This is my personal mantra in life, especially pertinent during this C19 period of our lives but I'm not going there on here! I need to find a T-shirt with this on...
it sort of started with ABS and I will clarify my position on that later but I just wanted to float this topic since reading about the new dipstick thread, I didn’t want to polite with my irrelevant rant so thought I would open up a discussion on how you chaps feel about whatever comes up here. I guess the door is open on dipsticks and ABS..
Some things are technological advances, heated mirrors (or even better the heated front screens on Ford's)...some things are not. I think the tricky issue is that we all value many of these aids in very different ways. Auto/DSG gearbox for example?
For me Distronic is pure magical witchcraft and I love it more than any other added feature...Speedtronic less so (I get sick of flicking it on at 30mph when I'm doing 70 in the fast lane!) - there is also something special about using the reversing camera to back up to the tow ball on the caravan, you can land it inch perfect (or mm perfect in new money), jump out and simply lower the 'van onto the hitch with no huffing it about!
So I never had ABS before about 2005 when I purchased a 8 year old V280, in fact that van was relatively packed with tech I had never used before - electric windows, cruise control, central locking, and electric heated mirrors with the latter being a revaluation, I bet you have all forgotten and completely overlook the genius behind a heated mirror, by far my favourite and the only one of these I would choose if they were options.

Webbah

Moving to an MP from a Tesla Model 3 Performance I truly miss having "camping mode" which would regulate the climate with both heating AND air conditioning. I took that for granted and I really miss having that as it's been a hot week here and I was "working from MP" and melting inside. I will likely need to buy some of these fly out screens, etc, to keep the bugs out for more ventilation. For now I ordered a small air cooler that is powered by USB C. Will see how that goes.

The dipstick thing also bothered me. My digital sensor was bugging out and would never show a reading. I had to go to MB and have them reset something and it finally now works.

Method7

Some things are technological advances, heated mirrors (or even better the heated front screens on Ford's)...some things are not. I think the tricky issue is that we all value many of these aids in very different ways. Auto/DSG gearbox for example?
Completely agree GT.

Gearbox wise I’ve been using a Auto V-Class for 16 years just two models and I couldn’t fault either. The MP is far more advanced and drives much more like a manual than the old one, still silky smooth but offers a much more connected feel, I guess due to the complete locking nature of the torque converter or what ever it’s called.. Some vehicles and their applications are really suited to the auto gearbox. Don’t get me wrong a manual box has its place.. I’ve not driven a flappy shift manual so can’t really comment but in my mind I would prefer a gear stick. There is something about the rhythm of driving that requires a clutch pedal and a gear stick regardless of the loss in performance.

Method7

Couldn't believe the dipstick thread so did a bit or research and found some MB's have been minus dipstick for 10yrs!!

Why is there so many threads here on operating functions with a phone? Kept hearing mention of 'Mercedes Me' so had a search around and have just downloaded it, What is that all about:rolleyes:

I could go on but I'm busy trying to work out how to operate the heating and ventilation system:D
Wow 10 years… to be fair I seem to remember someone telling me the owner couldn’t open the bonnet of the Audi A2 and that came out in 2000. I don’t know if it had a access flap with a dipstick and filler along with the other fluids but the idea that you can’t get in there makes me a bit nervous..

Mercedes Me is a bit crap on our 18 Horizon compared to the 2021 full fat MP. you can get info on windows and door locking - unlock and lock the car, trip info, range and tyre pressures that’s about it. Maybe you can set the sat-nav.. I keep thinking it’s a great feature you can unlock the car from anywhere with a phone signal but I’ve never used it to give access to anyone remotely and the one time I went to the car without my keys the app had logged me out and It only sends authorisation emails - my phone is email free.

Is MB Me irrelevant? I don’t think so it offers a completely optional alternative access to existing features. That can only be a good thing.

Steve B

Add my bit....An issue that is fast disappearing as all cars become automated; moving from a spoon fed type car that does everything for you (as per the previous lists but adding - auto wipers, auto main beam), then back to an older/simpler car. I've a defender and it is so easy to dazzle at night as you forget to dip, wonder why you can't see in the rain - then realise you need the wipers on! I got it converted to auto anyway but at least that stopped me stalling at junctions as I forgot to use the clutch :rolleyes:.

I could go back to the old days stories of my uncles/aunts/cousins trying to visit us in the 1970's and a 100 mile trip, and very often not making it as the cars (one had an Austin Cambridge and other a Wartburg) would break down. It was like a military operation when we went anywhere, with the night before 'mini service' by my dad on the car - that would be for any journey over 100 miles!

The fat controller

Yes it's definitely a case of 'more to go wrong' on these vehicles isn't it.... As my friend with a T5 conversion is always fond of telling me!

Still there are certainly some things which I wouldn't be without... I was sceptical about the 360 degree camera for example but added it after reading threads here. After a week lane bashing in Devon, I'm certainly glad I did!

As for no dipstock though... Not sure that was a problem that need fixing!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Is MB Me irrelevant? I don’t think so it offers a completely optional alternative access to existing features. That can only be a good thing.

'Completely optional alternative' Yes that's the point. You don't have to use cruise control, have the car park for you, I prefer mirrors to the 360 degree camera so I don't use it even though I live in Devon:) I doubt I'll ever use the app. My problem is when the alternative is removed..

Last edited:

Method7

Add my bit....An issue that is fast disappearing as all cars become automated; moving from a spoon fed type car that does everything for you (as per the previous lists but adding - auto wipers, auto main beam), then back to an older/simpler car. I've a defender and it is so easy to dazzle at night as you forget to dip, wonder why you can't see in the rain - then realise you need the wipers on! I got it converted to auto anyway but at least that stopped me stalling at junctions as I forgot to use the clutch :rolleyes:.

Oh yeah, I forgot the auto wipers and intelligent headlights. I visit Cornwall quite a lot and try to drive down the A303 at night arriving at my destination about midnight and wild camp it in the beach car park. Those lights really come to life as you sail down the country lanes of Cornwall, narrow and never straight, you can see the light beams swing from left to right and back again as you navigate the twisties it’s very satisfying!

proper good tech there for sure, silent and unobtrusive, forgettable even.

We (not that) recently purchased a 10 year old Mini convertible for the school run and the only issue I have is really quite odd - when I stop and hit reverse to back it into a parking space I nearly always turn the wipers on instead of grabbing the gear shifter.

Method7

'Completely optional alternative' Yes that's the point. You don't have to use cruise control, have the car park for you, I prefer mirrors to the 360 degree camera so I don't use it even though I live in Devon:) I doubt I'll ever use the app. My problem is when the alternative is removed..
I presume by alternative being removed you mean the first (original analogue feature) alternative…

I have no problem reversing on the mirrors and would never use the 360 feature if it was fitted, as for the auto park thing, I think it’s actually quite good, leaves the car a little too far off the kerb for my liking but I have messed about with it a bit just to see what it’s capable of… I have no reason to use it and can’t really see a situation where I would.

So many people cannot reverse and I guess this really is a bit of a lifeline for them (I’m taking a deep breath and moving on here) although people who drive bigger vehicle are usually much more capable behind the wheel.

The fat controller

I just feel the need to clarify here...

360 degree camera was useful when passing in very tight spots... There's no way in the world I (or, I believe, anyone) could have got the front nearside as close to very craggy embankments without it. You just cannot see that corner of the van any other way. It certainly meant I could squeeze past a few precious 4x4 owners who needed 2 feet on their side. ;)

SteveR

I just feel the need to clarify here...

360 degree camera was useful when passing in very tight spots... There's no way in the world I (or, I believe, anyone) could have got the front nearside as close to very craggy embankments without it. You just cannot see that corner of the van any other way. It certainly meant I could squeeze past a few precious 4x4 owners who needed 2 feet on their side. ;)
Yep, agree with this. That's where the 360 camera comes into it's own.

At the end of the day it's a big vehicle; why wouldn't you use tech to help you if it's there? I agree some things aren't worth paying for but then it's subjective no? £500 to one person could be their life savings yet small change to someone else
Just my 2p

pumpsmynads

I don’t see the issue with removing the dipstick - if it were something recently invented would you say it was pointless? Sensors tell you the level of your fuel or washer fluid. Why not the oil? You don’t dipstick the fuel tank.
Some other things are just a convenience, you don’t have to use them. The matrix lights are incredible. Literally full beam everywhere except for little black patches around cars in front travelling either direction.

Method7

Apart from the fact that the engine needs to be at running temperature before it takes a reading! Surely 1 or 2 engines will self destruct well before then. In practice I suppose your unlikely to actually check the oil level at all so 20 min is better than never but why not have both?

You know so when your prepping for a trip you can whizz round the car checking fluid levels and pressures. - ok it takes a short drive before you get a tyre pressure reading and in practice, I knew well before it became obvious that I had a puncture because the computer told me.

So assume the turbo blew a seal and spilled your engine oil down the M4, you would know about it well before it caused any damage and well before the oil pressure light came on. I can’t argue with that.

it just means that nothing can be checked cold, you have to fire up that clanky rattle box of spanner’s, waking everyone on the campsite.

Grand Tourismo

I prefer mirrors to the 360 degree camera so I don't use it even though I live in Devon:)
Ah, the Devon driver! - I gently move as close to the nearside verge as I can, just kissing the grass with my wheels, manually folding my mirrors in to give as much space as possible for the oncoming 4x4...which has its headlight hanging out the front of it and most of the panels held on by duct tape but it doesn't slow... in fact I am convinced it accelerates towards me with its nearside mirror doing a grand job of knocking back the hedgerow by 6" or so, and within a flash it is past, a blur of battered mismatched colour panels and a cheery wave, "Ar, welcome to Devon emmet!"
:D

Method7

Don’t do that!

No wonder he came at you like a bull he had all the room he needed and sailed through. Narrow roads like that you sit head on and the driver who chooses to back up first wins.
Wasting time inching past a gap someone left you (as a test) is merely entertainment…

Last edited:

Method7

Maybe we should talk about ABS… it’s a bit of a bug bear for me since I am fully aware of what my wheels are doing, agreed it can be difficult to assess at times and in certain vehicles, but generally most vehicles offer ample feedback. Before I drove I rode a bike, then I rode motorbikes, both on and off road.. none of these had ABS (or traction control).
My best friend, he loves it (ABS) and we often discuss the advantages and disadvantages, personally I think on something like our MPs it’s probably a good thing, as with just about every other vehicle on the road - but it is flawed and can drastically increase your stopping distance.

So for me it’s irritating that when you most need your brakes some automated system that has quite simply one response is allowed to take control and in that event, if one wheel looses traction for a nano second the brakes are released. At least that was my experience the last time my ABS took over and it rolled me out into two lanes of traffic..

Exiting a car park, post snow, patches of ice dappled the slope exiting onto a level road. With the near side wheels running over ice while the off side are on dry tarmac.. I hit the brake to slow the vehicle and felt the near side lockup, immediately felt the ABS judder the pedal and we just kept rolling all the way out of the junction into the oncoming traffic.

Marc o Polo

I presume by alternative being removed you mean the first (original analogue feature) alternative…

I have no problem reversing on the mirrors and would never use the 360 feature if it was fitted, as for the auto park thing, I think it’s actually quite good, leaves the car a little too far off the kerb for my liking but I have messed about with it a bit just to see what it’s capable of… I have no reason to use it and can’t really see a situation where I would.

So many people cannot reverse and I guess this really is a bit of a lifeline for them (I’m taking a deep breath and moving on here) although people who drive bigger vehicle are usually much more capable behind the wheel.
"I've got a good rain coat so I won't use my umbrella...." :confused: The 360 camera feature is fabulous! I think if you had it you would most definitely change your mind. It is also a most excellent (additional) safety feature if you think about it. I'm hooked - and I can reverse without a 360 camera into a very tight parking spot, but why struggle? Use of a 360 camera in addition to the skills you already have makes manoeuvres virtually effortless. Don't think I have autopark enabled on my MP but if I had I would be keen to give it a go.