Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MP Embargo in the UK

I have just found out that my MP, which I ordered in April and which I am told has already been built, is one subject to the emissions embargo and therefore will not yet be released.
Up to now, my dealer seemed to know little or nothing about any embargo!
Having been told initially that delivery would be in mid-August, to be later told it would be at the beginning September, I accepted that given it would be on the new registration. I have been getting excited about the fast approaching collection date...
They now tell me it is going to be October, but that seems by no means set in concrete!
Frustrating and annoying!
I have suggested MB need to make some sort of financial gesture to keep me from cancelling, especially since other members here have achieved better discounts than when I signed up for mine.
Not sure how many other members are in the same situation - I will update here if I manage to achieve any financial success!

Katie

Sorry to hear about this, but it will get sorted. My dealer said there a software fix so hopefully should be fairly quick once they’ve got this.
Good luck re price negotiation. If they will not budge on actual price you could always get some extras thrown in for free and little cost to dealer eg star guard treatment, cosmetic and alloy wheels cover or a couple of free services, which would be a good saving

Sorry to hear about this, but it will get sorted. My dealer said there a software fix so hopefully should be fairly quick once they’ve got this.
Good luck re price negotiation. If they will not budge on actual price you could always get some extras thrown in for free and little cost to dealer eg star guard treatment, cosmetic and alloy wheels cover or a couple of free services, which would be a good saving
Thanks Katie... I agree, I agree, the dealer won't want to budge on price. When I talked to them, I placed the emphasis on M-B themselves giving a "sweetener" - I am sure they don't want too many built to customer spec. MPs arriving in the UK without buyers. We will see, but you make a very valid point with the extras - that will be my second line of negotiation! ;-)

Andrew Gamble

This embargo looks set to carry on for some time yet... my business is commercial graphics/fleet graphics/vehicle wrapping... I currently have 160 Mercedes vans, of which 105 are Vito’s, the rest being Sprinters, sat in my compound at my factory.. some have been here since February and none of which I can invoice for until this ban lifts, so it’s a huge financial burden!... we are a Mercedes designated delivery point, i.e they come direct to us from port, so we have a line of communication pretty high up in Mercedes right back to Germany, and as it stands it could be December before this embargo is lifted.. and the Sprinters are first in line to move..ahead of the Vito’s/V Classes/Marco Polo, the reason being the fleet sales for Sprinters are far greater than Vito’s (think DHL, Iceland, Yodel, DPD and many others, all of whom are affected by embargo and have 1000’s of new vehicles on hold)

As I get updates I will post accordingly, however I do know that at dealership level for Marco Polos, due to the fact they’re a passenger car, they’re not being too well informed nor communicated with by Mercedes!

The ‘software update’ proposed to fix this, firstly being rolled out on the sprinters, was presented to the German government some three weeks ago, with the vito’s set to be released a further 3 weeks later.... and the proposal was duly rejected!

This embargo affects Sprinters, Vitos/V Class, A class and C class.

I’m sorry for all you guys that have orders placed.... as it stands I wouldn’t envisage seeing your vehicles before Christmas!

To my knowledge Mercedes dealerships have pre registered all the stock in the UK so there are some good deals around on low mileage demos, the only problem being someone else has spec’d them!

As a selfish side note... I have a beautiful MP for sale!!

This embargo looks set to carry on for some time yet... my business is commercial graphics/fleet graphics/vehicle wrapping... I currently have 160 Mercedes vans, of which 105 are Vito’s, the rest being Sprinters, sat in my compound at my factory.. some have been here since February and none of which I can invoice for until this ban lifts, so it’s a huge financial burden!... we are a Mercedes designated delivery point, i.e they come direct to us from port, so we have a line of communication pretty high up in Mercedes right back to Germany, and as it stands it could be December before this embargo is lifted.. and the Sprinters are first in line to move..ahead of the Vito’s/V Classes/Marco Polo, the reason being the fleet sales for Sprinters are far greater than Vito’s (think DHL, Iceland, Yodel, DPD and many others, all of whom are affected by embargo and have 1000’s of new vehicles on hold)

As I get updates I will post accordingly, however I do know that at dealership level for Marco Polos, due to the fact they’re a passenger car, they’re not being too well informed nor communicated with by Mercedes!

The ‘software update’ proposed to fix this, firstly being rolled out on the sprinters, was presented to the German government some three weeks ago, with the vito’s set to be released a further 3 weeks later.... and the proposal was duly rejected!

I’m sorry for all you guys that have orders placed.... as it stands I wouldn’t envisage seeing your vehicles before Christmas!

To my knowledge Mercedes dealerships have pre registered all the stock in the UK so there are some good deals around on low mileage demos, the only problem being someone else has spec’d them!

Thanks for the update Andrew.... not good news for any of us! It looks like we (and the dealerships) are being strung along by MB in the hope that orders are not cancelled.

Same boat as you. Ordered April, told August delivery, last heard end of September / beginning of October for a pick up. Very frustrating but may also play the 'extras' card when the time comes.

Same boat as you. Ordered April, told August delivery, last heard end of September / beginning of October for a pick up. Very frustrating but may also play the 'extras' card when the time comes.
That sounds all very familiar Paul! If I hear anything more from the dealer I will keep you posted (he promised an update in a couple of weeks). Otherwise, I think we are completely "over a barrel" - not a lot we can do about it :-/

Coolsailingdude

Just had an update from MB Bath to confirm that the embargo only applies to vehicles built before June '18, those built afterwards are being released and should arrive mid October....we'll see :)

Just had an update from MB Bath to confirm that the embargo only applies to vehicles built before June '18, those built afterwards are being released and should arrive mid October....we'll see :)
My dealer at Southampton also seemed quite optimistic that my MP would be available in October - but given the fact that I seemed to know more about the embargo that he did, I wonder!
He couldn't actually tell me when mine was built, only that it had been...
Disappointing though that even if it does appear in October, it won't be here in time for the MP Meet-up. :-(

Andrew Gamble

I have had confirmation this morning that the Embargo has been lifted on the Sprinter Models... however it remains in place at this point on the Vitos!

However it may well be correct regarding the build date... all of the 105 Vitos i have on site are certainly pre June 18 builds... that being said my client who has bought these 105 vitos can currently not even place an order for a new one, so that doesnt't add up regarding new models not being affected?

Either way, fingers crossed for all you guys awaiting yours.

I had an update from my dealer this morning.... delivery is still scheduled for 5th October. They have heard rumours that the embargo will be lifted soon in September, but yet to receive official confirmation from M-B GB.
I won't my breath anyway....!

Met a chap at carfest this weekend who had rented a MP from a websote called goboony.co.uk - described it as a air bnb for campers.

Anyway, thought it might be an option for those who had their orders delayed but wanted an option to get out in an mp in short term.

Andy

A quick update - our MP was ordered on 13th April, with a delivery date on 29th June. That soon slipped (without an explanation from the salesman) to July and soon after to August. I presume the embargo had kicked in and was affecting our vehicle. I pointed out that we ordered in April so that we could enjoy the MP in 2018 and that the months were ticking by without it. The embargo seemed to be unknown to the dealership (which I doubt!). The salesman then assured us that it would arrive at the end of August, so I told him to wait to register it on 1st September (with the new reg). September arrived and still no MP, but a promise of October (if the embargo is lifted).
A whole season wasted without our vehicle.
Having now also had a terrible level of service with regard to my other Mercedes at the same dealer, I decided enough was enough and have pulled the plug on the MP order. I am currently awaiting the refund of my deposit (reluctantly agreed).
I will look at a purchase again in the New Year, in the hope that the embargo problems are over and that I can get delivery around Easter and enjoy a full 2019 season in the MP.
For sure though, it will be with a different dealer!
I won't name and shame here, but if anyone wants to know which dealer, please send a message.

Andrew Gamble

Colin,

I'm sorry to learn of your wasted season... the whole affair has been handled terribly by Mercedes Benz, and, despite my MP being bought before this fiasco kicked off and therefore unaffected by the embargo, I have still, through various other things, received truly appalling levels of customer service by my dealership. I would never purchase a car from my dealership, and it has severely dented my faith in Mercedes as a brand full stop.

My sources at Mercedes Benz CV (Commercial Vehicles) indicate that it could be December before this embargo is lifted... so I hope that you do indeed get to enjoy a full season next year!

I have used mine for the last few weekends solid, and, after having it for sale, am now in two minds as i have thoroughly enjoyed it and am off to do the North Coast 500 in Scotland in a weeks time.. shame really as my indecision has lost me the majority of this current season too!

Colin,

I'm sorry to learn of your wasted season... the whole affair has been handled terribly by Mercedes Benz, and, despite my MP being bought before this fiasco kicked off and therefore unaffected by the embargo, I have still, through various other things, received truly appalling levels of customer service by my dealership. I would never purchase a car from my dealership, and it has severely dented my faith in Mercedes as a brand full stop.

My sources at Mercedes Benz CV (Commercial Vehicles) indicate that it could be December before this embargo is lifted... so I hope that you do indeed get to enjoy a full season next year!

I have used mine for the last few weekends solid, and, after having it for sale, am now in two minds as i have thoroughly enjoyed it and am off to do the North Coast 500 in Scotland in a weeks time.. shame really as my indecision has lost me the majority of this current season too!

Thanks Andrew - I have heard all too often about Mercedes poor customer service and it seems quite widespread - not what you expect from a prestige brand! Enjoy your trip to Scotland (don't forget the midge spray!)

Andrew Gamble

Yes, unfortunately it does seem quite widespread as you point out... I even raised my complaints and contacted the dealer principal directly. I explained in great detail and in a very calm and constructive manner and he invited me in to speak with him in person as he wished to ensure this wouldn't happen again... on the day of the meeting that he set up I arrived at the dealership, sat and waited for 20 mins before the receptionist informed me that he wasn't in the office that day!! So what hope do customer service representatives have when it comes from the top in such a manner?!!

I'm very fortunate to own several prestige cars, a Bentley Continental GT, a BMW M5 and a Range Rover and the level of service I receive from these three brands absolutely blows Mercedes Benz out of the water, they're quite simply on a different page, and i've experienced this across three different MB dealerships in the North West.. Whilst I think they have an excellent product in the Marco Polo it's a crying shame their service doesn't match their goods.

And thanks.... the midge spray and citronella candles are packed in the van!!

Andrew Gamble

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

I have just been informed by Mercedes that the embargo has been lifted as of this morning!! So all you guys with orders should start to see some movement!