Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Marco Polo Horizon questions

Roo

Good afternoon, I’m hoping there are other Marco Polo Horizon members on this.
I’ve a couple of questions and would love some responses to what other people do/ have done to resolve simple issues:
1)Is there any way to double lock the van and have the internal alarm off? I have young kids and I noticed that it’s possible for them to open the driver (thankfully they haven’t figured this out yet!) and passenger door even if the car is locked.
2) what kitchen option do many people have inside the van? We have a vangear kitchen, find that when we go camping it’s a bit of space wasting as we use the outwell padres kitchen in the awning. Anyone got a kitchen that they move out from their van easily to their awning for camping and can pop it in again to go off on a day trip during their camping holiday? I was half tempted to ditch the vangear kitchen but like having something for day trips.
3) any good recommendations for a self inflating fitted mattress for the bottom 3 seater bed?
4) Awnings!!!…so we bought an Outdoor Revolution T4EPC awning-it’s great when up and perfect for our family of 5; however problem is managing to inflate and pitch it with no other person to help-the beams tend to bend when inflating as the fabric is so heavy. Am I missing a special trick to putting it up??

SteveR

Hi Roo and welcome,
1. I always used to lock the van last thing at night with the lock button in the drivers door. Centrally locks and doesn't arm the alarm. Regarding the ability to open the front doors even if locked... Surely this is a good thing, a VERY good thing, in case of emergencies!!

Roo

Hi SteveR, yes, in theory of course a good thing, this is in relation to my toddlers (twins) though where I’m hoping they haven't escaped out the other side of the van while I am in the awning! They haven’t managed to get out of the travel cot yet but have good attempts at it. Thanks though for the tip on the driver door locking!

SteveR

Hi SteveR, yes, in theory of course a good thing, this is in relation to my toddlers (twins) though where I’m hoping they haven't escaped out the other side of the van while I am in the awning! They haven’t managed to get out of the travel cot yet but have good attempts at it. Thanks though for the tip on the driver door locking!
Easy... Just swivel the seats ;)

Reactions: Roo

Ashleyjbassett

Hi Roo,

With regard to the Kitchen, we ended up getting the Slidepod. It's more expensive than many of the other options, but is great as a unit to use as and when. It also can be fairly easily removed when not in campaign season to get the full use of space for other kinds of adventures. In addition, we use the CADAC barbecue, which packs away well. This is the best of all barbecues we've tried.

For the bed, Slidepod can make a tri-fold mattress for you. We opted to make our own (well, my wife got it made as her family owns an upholstery business). Fairly firm foam, with a softer foam top in the mattress, as a tri-fold doesn't block the rear window.

hope that helps.

Roo

Hi Roo,

With regard to the Kitchen, we ended up getting the Slidepod. It's more expensive than many of the other options, but is great as a unit to use as and when. It also can be fairly easily removed when not in campaign season to get the full use of space for other kinds of adventures. In addition, we use the CADAC barbecue, which packs away well. This is the best of all barbecues we've tried.

For the bed, Slidepod can make a tri-fold mattress for you. We opted to make our own (well, my wife got it made as her family owns an upholstery business). Fairly firm foam, with a softer foam top in the mattress, as a tri-fold doesn't block the rear window.

hope that helps.

Roo

Thanks for your reply on this some time ago. After much decision over the winter we are going to go with a slidepod for our van also. I never realised how easy they are to remove and use in the awning instead of trying to pack more things for longer camping trips! I’m also just using our previous purchased memory foam mattress topper (jysk) which we have tried the van and is very comfortable so no need to change. If you have any photos of the slidepod in the Horizon I would love to see more.
How do you pack your van for longer trips and the slidepod in situ-is it possible to fit a lot of things between the slide pod base and the seats if you push them as far forward as possible? Perhaps you don’t tend to have the same packing issues as we do with a young family!