Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping Leisure battery charged

1508ian

I'm finding it very difficult to keep the leisure battery in our 2109 MP adequately charged in lockdown. Where it is parked (in town) we don't have the ability to use the electric hook up, and aren't supposed to drive very far so it doesn't get a decent charge.
So I'm thinking of getting a solar charger that sits in the windscreen to keep the leisure battery charged up. I haven't yet delved into the innards, so have the following questions:-
1 Which seat is the leisure battery under - driver's or passengers?
2 Is it easy to get at, and to fix the charging leads to?
3 Is it possibe to charge the leisure battery through any of the 12v cigarette lighter sockets in the vehicle?
4 Is a solar charger going to work (probably not in a Scottish climate)? Anyone got a particular recommendation?
5 Any other alternative solutions?
Thank you.

Grand Tourismo

I'm finding it very difficult to keep the leisure battery in our 2109 MP adequately charged in lockdown. Where it is parked (in town) we don't have the ability to use the electric hook up, and aren't supposed to drive very far so it doesn't get a decent charge.
So I'm thinking of getting a solar charger that sits in the windscreen to keep the leisure battery charged up. I haven't yet delved into the innards, so have the following questions:-
3 Is it possibe to charge the leisure battery through any of the 12v cigarette lighter sockets in the vehicle?
4 Is a solar charger going to work (probably not in a Scottish climate)? Anyone got a particular recommendation?
Thank you.
:Welcome: welcome along Ian!!

My MP has a solar panel permanently fitted on the pop-roof. The PV panel provides power to a control unit which then acts like a battery management unit. It cycles the leisure battery to keep it tip top and I can just forget about it all year round.
There is a handy app which connects my phone via bluetooth to the batt. management unit and keeps me updated on input/output data if required.
The PV needs some light to keep the battery topped up but not necessarily bright sunshine...another user on here has the same system and can leave their fridge on setting 3, night and day, all summer long!! - I am confident that it will even work in sunny Scotland!

1508ian

That’s very helpful GT. What panel is it, and how/where did you get it fitted?
I’m thinking that a less permanent solution might work for us, but I do like the “fit and forget” idea.

Grand Tourismo

That’s very helpful GT. What panel is it, and how/where did you get it fitted?
I’m thinking that a less permanent solution might work for us, but I do like the “fit and forget” idea.
The control unit is a Victron Energy MPPT 75/15 and lives in the top back cupboard, not sure what make the PV panel is but your installer would be able to advise.
Mine came fitted to the vehicle so I can't recommend a recognised installer...a mug of tea and a little time on Google should hopefully provide you with some local info....or drop a line to one of the big converters in Scotland and see who they use (Caledonian Campers maybe?). Or stick a question on here to see if anyone has any local experience.

*Seems many cruising boats use the Victron system so maybe a marine installer could provide PV panel advice?

Grand Tourismo

Also meant to add ... we’re waiting to get a new roof because of the dreaded paint bubble issue!
Drats to the dreaded roof!!
By the way did you know we are collecting data about known roof issues on here?
If you haven't maybe you could fill out the form on the forum?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thank you.

1. Passenger seat
2 See This thread
3.Yes.
4.From Oct to March especially in Scotland there will be very little sun, even in summer it's unreliable. You'll keep the battery in good condition through the winter with a trickle charge, but nothing not much else. This chart shows AVERAGE hours per day. You can of course go days without much useful sun even in summer.

Average Sun.jpeg

5. Not sure there is any alternative other than connect a power pack like a Yeti.

Why is your battery not holding the charge, is there a draw on it? I would have thought the starter battery which has the draw of the alarm would be the one that dropped the most when not in use for a long period.

I believe many on this forum have fitted solar from Solar Camper Solution

1508ian

That's great - thank you. The Solar Camper Solution looks like it would be good.
Can I just check - the manual says the 12v sockets only function when the ignition is on. Does this appy to them all, and does it mean that you can't charge the leisure battery through them unless the ignition is switched on?
Thanks for the heat map - just reminds me to question why we live in a blue country...!

Grand Tourismo

Thanks for the heat map - just reminds me to question why we live in a blue country...!
Is it the top rated golf courses? Or maybe the wide open vistas? The lack of light pollution? Or the right to roam freely? The fresh local cusine?.....or the absolutely world class Midge population!!

Last edited:
Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
That's great - thank you. The Solar Camper Solution looks like it would be good.
Can I just check - the manual says the 12v sockets only function when the ignition is on. Does this appy to them all, and does it mean that you can't charge the leisure battery through them unless the ignition is switched on?
Cab sockets, the ones that are powered from the starter battery, are only live with the ignition on.
The12v habitation sockets will be permanently live, so you can charge no problem.

1508ian

All of the above of course! But the weather and the politics - not so much...
Drats to the dreaded roof!!
By the way did you know we are collecting data about known roof issues on here?
If you haven't maybe you could fill out the form on the forum?

I've filled out the form now. MB Edinburgh is our dealer and they have ordered a new roof from Germany, and I'm waiting to hear from them what the ETA is...

1508ian

Cab sockets, the ones that are powered from the starter battery, are only live with the ignition on.
The12v habitation sockets will be permanently live, so you can charge no problem.
That's great - sounds like that's the way to go to begin with at least. Thanks again for your help.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Is it the top rated golf courses? Or maybe the wide open vista's? The lack of light pollution? Or the right to roam freely? The fresh local cusine?.....or the absolutely world class Midge population!!

Being able to camp and wake up in places like this;)

Western Isles are absolutely stunning when the sun shines:cool: Something else beginning with 'S' in a force 8. No midges then though

Western Isles 2.jpgWestern Isles 3.jpg

JulieG

We fitted a solar panel to our MP last year, supplied by Roger at Solar Camper Solutions. We live in the North of England and the battery charge has been maintained over Winter with no need to “hook up” So you may be OK a few miles further North.

1508ian

We fitted a solar panel to our MP last year, supplied by Roger at Solar Camper Solutions. We live in the North of England and the battery charge has been maintained over Winter with no need to “hook up” So you may be OK a few miles further North.
That sounds good. Did you fit the panel yourself? How easy/difficult was it?
I was thinking that instead of plugging it in to the charger circuit I might just run it into one of the 12v sockets.
A bit of planning required!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
That sounds good. Did you fit the panel yourself? How easy/difficult was it?
I was thinking that instead of plugging it in to the charger circuit I might just run it into one of the 12v sockets.
A bit of planning required!

PM sent.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Did you get my PM @1508ian

First one I've sent and not sure how to check if you got it.