Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Importing MP to UK

Epigram

You don’t say from which country and whether you are thinking new or secondhand.
There is a host of information about importing vehicles on the DVLA website which will no doubt become even more bureaucratic now that we have left the EU and may not have common EU standards or certificates of conformity.
A while ago, when the exchange rate was good, I was tempted to buy a new 4matic in France and base it there with the occasional (short) visit to UK rather than actually import it.
However, I decided to wait until after 31December 2020 to see where I am going to spend most of my time in future years. Possible restrictions on freedom of movement around Europe and coronavirus has complicated matters further.
Something to remember is that equipment which is standard on UK MP models is often an extra so you really have to go through the specs and price lists with a fine tooth comb to get like for like.
Also (in France) a vehicle with a kitchen/sink has a lower sales tax than one with just a bed. Therefore a Horizon if purchased in France would probably end up more being expensive than an MP.
(I did this latter comparision between a 4WD VW Beech and a California but the same principle applies.)
Good luck keep us posted.

Mary Davis

You don’t say from which country and whether you are thinking new or secondhand.
There is a host of information about importing vehicles on the DVLA website which will no doubt become even more bureaucratic now that we have left the EU and may not have common EU standards or certificates of conformity.
A while ago, when the exchange rate was good, I was tempted to buy a new 4matic in France and base it there with the occasional (short) visit to UK rather than actually import it.
However, I decided to wait until after 31December 2020 to see where I am going to spend most of my time in future years. Possible restrictions on freedom of movement around Europe and coronavirus has complicated matters further.
Something to remember is that equipment which is standard on UK MP models is often an extra so you really have to go through the specs and price lists with a fine tooth comb to get like for like.
Also (in France) a vehicle with a kitchen/sink has a lower sales tax than one with just a bed. Therefore a Horizon if purchased in France would probably end up more being expensive than an MP.
(I did this latter comparision between a 4WD VW Beech and a California but the same principle applies.)
Good luck keep us posted.
Thank you Epigram for this information. We are returning to live in Cardiff bringing our MP V6 with us. I will check out the DVLA website. Thanks again, Mary

Mary Davis

Late update!! We did bring the MP into Wales and went through the process of importing it. The process took approx. 4 months after having the necessary changes made - headlights, speedo (which meant changing the whole control unit) and fog light. The DVLA process took longer than usual because of Covid.

Epigram

Interesting.
You have an older model. On the newer MPs with LED lights the lights change left to right driving by software as does the speedometer and odometer reading (but not the dial) so DVLA might insist on changing this.
I had contemplated importing a 4wd but gave up because, post Brexit, HMRC are insistent about charging UK VAT /import duty and I did not want to pay it twice. It made the exercise uneconomic for me.