Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HZ0 Electrical Auxiliary Heating - WHAT IS IT ?!?

J

JPG

VIP Member
Hello.. Newbie here again !

Had a look through the forum but struggling to understand what the HZ0 Electrical Auxiliary Heating is listed on my vehicles spec sheet could anyone shed any light please on what it does ?

I know the vehicle doesn't have either a diesel air or water heater and can't seem to find much detail about what the Electrical Auxiliary Heating is anywhere.

Much Appreciated

Julian

Roy C

I believe it's part of the standard heating / cooling system. Here's my understanding - normally a car's heater works by routing coolant to the heater circuit to warm the air passing into the cabin. Of course, you have to wait for the coolant to get up to temperature based on cooling the engine and this can take a while. The auxiliary electrical heating uses an electrical element to get warm air into the cabin quicker than just waiting for the coolant to warm up. I'm not 100% sure so if anyone knows better then feel free to shoot me down in flames!

J

JPG

VIP Member
I believe it's part of the standard heating / cooling system. Here's my understanding - normally a car's heater works by routing coolant to the heater circuit to warm the air passing into the cabin. Of course, you have to wait for the coolant to get up to temperature based on cooling the engine and this can take a while. The auxiliary electrical heating uses an electrical element to get warm air into the cabin quicker than just waiting for the coolant to warm up. I'm not 100% sure so if anyone knows better then feel free to shoot me down in flames!
Much Appreciated Roy... :0)

Grand Tourismo

As Roy says, a cabin pre-heater but I understand that it is designed to act as an engine pre-heater and the cabin output is a side benefit.

Most wear damage occurs to a diesel engine on start up when cold, if the outside temp is super cold the wear damage is worse.
Pre-heat the coolant and you start to warm the engine block prior to start up and thereby reducing engine wear.
The pre-heater element is standard equipment on the MP.

Reactions: JPG
J

JPG

VIP Member
As Roy says, a cabin pre-heater but I understand that it is designed to act as an engine pre-heater and the cabin output is a side benefit.

Most wear damage occurs to a diesel engine on start up when cold, if the outside temp is super cold the wear damage is worse.
Pre-heat the coolant and you start to warm the engine block prior to start up and thereby reducing engine wear.
The pre-heater element is standard equipment on the MP.
Thanks GT, Much Appreciated :0)

Roy C

Pre-heating the coolant is what the auxilliary water heater does, using diesel from the fuel tank. Why would there be an electrical heater that does the same thing? Nobody would need to order the water heater option. I, instead, thought the electrical heater just heated the air coming in to the cabin to get it up to temperature early but only when the engine was running and it didn’t pre-heat the coolant. As stated, pre-heating the coolant reduces wear and tear with the additional benefit of cabin pre-heating but for that I thought you needed to specify the optional auxilliary water heater, which uses diesel rather than an electrical element. The auxilliary warm air heater also uses diesel but that can run continuously (unlike the water heater limited to 50 mins) and independently of the engine and doesn’t come through the standard heating vents, like in any car, but has separate vents on the floor behind the front seats.

J

JPG

VIP Member
Pre-heating the coolant is what the auxilliary water heater does, using diesel from the fuel tank. Why would there be an electrical heater that does the same thing? Nobody would need to order the water heater option. I, instead, thought the electrical heater just heated the air coming in to the cabin to get it up to temperature early but only when the engine was running and it didn’t pre-heat the coolant. As stated, pre-heating the coolant reduces wear and tear with the additional benefit of cabin pre-heating but for that I thought you needed to specify the optional auxilliary water heater, which uses diesel rather than an electrical element. The auxilliary warm air heater also uses diesel but that can run continuously (unlike the water heater limited to 50 mins) and independently of the engine and doesn’t come through the standard heating vents, like in any car, but has separate vents on the floor behind the front seats.
Thanks Roy C,

Really helpful... great forum ;0)