Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hot water heater duration?

Trevsked

I have the hot water heater that runs for 3x50 min sessions. Anyone know if it’s possible to override this so it can run for longer? If it is restricted to this then what are the limits, is it auxiliary battery power that dictates? And what resets it to run for another 3x50 mins? Starting and running for a minimum duration perhaps?

Trevor.

Ian

I’ve never tried running the hot water heater more than twice in a row. I’m pretty sure that the water heater draws power from the starter battery a rather than the auxiliary (leisure) battery so the restriction is in place to prevent the vehicle being unable to start. I think this makes sense as the hot water heater can be an option on the regular V-class and is fully integrated into all the car stuff (Mercedes me, dashboard etc...).

The hot air heater works off the leisure battery so there is no risk of draining the starter battery when using that one.

But it also uses diesel as fuel is this correct ? or does it use the battery power to heat the coolant ? I'm made up with mine and grateful to have it

Trevsked

I believe it a diesel run heat exchanger so use battery power to run the heater that in turn heats the water. Works well I think and happy with mine.

Trevor.

Hmmm so it only uses battery power to run the fan,you would think it would be possible to run longer than 50 mins x3 without draining the battery so maybe you could run it more often than the stated times we used ours last weekend more than 3 times and it ran every time I asked it too with no problems

Trevsked

No not just the fan. Fuel is heated and burnt to create the heat and that is used to heat the water. Interesting that you ran yours more than three times, maybe there isn’t a limiter, just instructed not to use more than three times to protect the battery.

Trevor.

I see I think I understand , yeah although the temp was at 24 on the climate control and driving was done in between so I suppose that discounts that test really , it was also just turned on the aux heat on dash not the remote control ! One thing I have discovered is that the aux hot water is unavailable in the UK on the mercedes me app apparently,does anyone use the app to control theirs ?

Interesting my app says unavailable in the UK but I don't think il bother anyway so not bothered.In fact I can't see the point in the app tbh,on the subject of water heater I think it would be possible to get through a night using it by setting three different timers during the night and just limping through although not as good as the hot air heater but it's doable and a compromise

Trevsked

Yes I agree, I couldn’t see the point of using the app butvthought I’d give it a go for the year. Does give unlimited range effectively to turn the heater on. Not just the 300m when in a field.

Trevor.

Yes id like to be able to do that as it would definetly be useful but mine says unavailable I've just phoned them now and the lady said theres is no hot water heating function through the mercedes me app in the UK on a marco polo so a bit confused.com, she's phone me back as I mentioned others are using it just fine on the app and she also was confused.com

She phoned back and confirmed that the message is an error and I'm now up and running on the app looks to be quite useful after all I 'll give it a year and see how it goes thanks trevsked

Trevsked

0C1B481F-918D-4F14-90EC-BEED5C9F9813.png I decided to see how many runs I could get on the heater and on the third run I got this.
Turned on initially but clearly there’s a battery saver operating. In fairness it’s pretty chilly out and I’ve not used the MP for at least 3 weeks so battery will be fairly down to start with.

Trevor.

Interesting,so three times is definitely the max. Did your fuel level drop ? You better make sure to give it a run to charge your battery tomorrow as you don't want it sitting drained

Trevsked

Wonder what would happen if you were on a site and hooked up then used a battery charger into the starter battery. If the voltage drop is what dictates the run times then perhaps a solution. Or even teaming up a spare battery with the starter battery possibly.
I’ll use it tomorrow perhaps and give it a run.

Trevor.

Good theory I suspect you might have something there. In which case a goal zero yeti which has 230v output may do the job whilst also providing off grid 230v power at the same time and could be charged whilst on the move as it plugs in 12v socket