Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from a newbie to site looking for recommendations

johnbhoy

Just wanted to say hello to the forum, we pick up our new MP on Saturday the 22nd a month earlier than expected :). We have been caravnaers for 4 Year’s a Swift Basecamp which is great, but we’ve always wanted a campervan and took the plunge and ordered a new one from Mercedes. Wanted to pick everyone’s brains on top tips for what to have or not have in the van. Any golden nuggets most welcome!

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Just wanted to say hello to the forum, we pick up our new MP on Saturday the 22nd a month earlier than expected :). We have been caravnaers for 4 Year’s a Swift Basecamp which is great, but we’ve always wanted a campervan and took the plunge and ordered a new one from Mercedes. Wanted to pick everyone’s brains on top tips for what to have or not have in the van. Any golden nuggets most welcome!
Welcome aboard - like you I'm pretty new to campervans and can't offer a huge amount of experience compared to others on here but I'd say that a mattress topper is essential - mine is the bulky Mercedes item but there are more compact versions out there. Our 3 nights away over Christmas/New Year show that the roof insulation is also a must if you're planning to use between Autumn and Spring. Also the standard curtains are not great at keeping the light out - we have a set of tailored magnetic covers which work pretty well.

I'm waiting for my new MP which is expected Aug/Sep/sometime...what options did you select?

Mike

johnbhoy

We originally went for 250d AMG then were informed that it amg now only came in the 300d so thats wat we went for. On top of that we opted for the driver assist package; 360 camera; awning; towing pCage as we are keeping the base camp for longer trips south of France and Italy. Did go for the merc mattress topper for down below. wife and I are so excited can’t wait for Saturday they are opening at 8am for us as we plan on being in Glen Coe by 3pm the same day. As the corny saying goes the mountains are calling and I must go. Really can’t wait

SteveR

Hello @johnbhoy and welcome to the forum

Best bet is to get out and about in your new van and you will soon have loads of ideas of things to add to your MP to increase your enjoyment.
I'd also recommend the tailored magnetic covers that @DogWagen mentioned and that's probably a decent starting point for you along with the essentials (Gas, Hookup cable, Peroni :))

Steve B

Hi & welcome - Sounds like you have most of the bits and pieces key stuff from your caravanning days plus the topper. As mentioned the front screen blind is not good, and I went for the external insulated version which works well. If you are going to use it in colder/wetter weather the roof insulation wrap is good. I think you will find it snug compared to the caravan, many people here start with the camper then move on to a motorhome/caravan, but sounds like you are keeping the caravan for your longer trips.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and I remember the trip to pick ours up, it was a really good day out., so I hope you enjoy Saturday!