Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas usage

StevieG

Hi all, we’ve now spent 12 nights on board our MarcoPolo over the last two months - Scotland and Lakes - and are loving it!
One thing that’s troubled me has been running out of gas - electric and water are covered by warnings on the central control unit but there doesn’t seem any way of monitoring gas usage.
So I’ve reverted to old school - at the end of each trip take out the 907 cylinder and weigh it; turns out we’re using between 3% and 4% volume per night. At least it gives us a guide … gas for coffee/tea, porridge then main meal on BBQ (at least during this sunny weather)
Stats we’re using for the 907 cylinder are:
Gross weight 6.46kg
Gas 2.75kg
Tare 3.71kg
Hope this is useful - I’d be interested if anyone has a sensor for gas levels.

Steve

Epigram

Thanks StevieG for the info. Now written on a label under the gas compartment lid.
Murphy’s Law says that the gas will run out when most needed and furthest away from a replacement centre which will probably be closed.
The trouble is a pressure sensor won’t work because the vapour pressure in the cylinder is more or less constant and independent of the amount of liquid gas in the cylinder - until it’s gone.
I seem to remember seeing a changeover adaptor to connect to a Camping Gaz CV470 cartridge which they kept as a spare and used on their gas BBQ. However, it might be easier to heat a pan of water on the gas BBQ!

StevieG

Definitely Murphy’s Law! Weighing seems to be the only solution to cover FOROOG (fear of running out of gas) … assuming it’s linear and you can get every last ‘drop’.
Lovin’ our LotusGrill BBQ though; we take a handful of zip lock bags with measured amount of charcoal with us and then it’s simple clean smokeless cooking