Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas System Certification

D

David Fearon

VIP Member
Does anybody out there bother to get the gas system certified every two years per the Mercedes advice? My local Mercedes dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him. Didn't seem to know what a Marco Polo was..

Also, any ideas for where to go for such a system check?

David

funkyegg

Does anybody out there bother to get the gas system certified every two years per the Mercedes advice? My local Mercedes dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him. Didn't seem to know what a Marco Polo was..

David
I'm too interested in this...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Steve B

Other than your own safety, I think the insurance company may be interested (worth checking). A good way to void an insurance policy in the event of a claim, even if the claim had nothing to do with the gas system.

JulieG

We had ours certified by a local company that does habitation certification for motorhomes
From memory it cost around £50

Epigram

Good point about about insurance.
As an aside, my new vehicle leaked gas when the 907 bottle was connected and turned on.
The regulator gas connections were loose. So much for Mercedes/Westfalia gas safety checks!

If you change the gas bottle according to the manual i.e. undo the left hand thread connector, (as opposed to unscrewing the gas bottle from the regulator as you would do with any Camping Gas stove ), you have the potential to make the system leak if union connections are not done up properly.

The manual below.does not provide advice on how to check a gas union which is a spanner job and a left hand thread - something many people would not be familiar with.

Having tightened and tested the union,I change the bottle at the regulator which IMO is a safer method and does not disturb “permanent” connections.
I would be interested to hear what a gas fitter doing a safety check had to say.

1596781907930.png
I don’t recall seeing advice in the manual on how to check the connections for leaks If you do it their way....

Last edited:

Epigram

David
Another thought:
Any CORGI/Gas Safe engineer can do it. If you have a gas heating system combine it with the boiler service etc. Its not a big job and you may save a few pounds.

D

David Fearon

VIP Member
Thanks everybody for your comments. I'll contact some qualified gas people and see what they say. I contacted a mobile habitation inspection company and they wanted £199 to do a full motorhome check. They didn't seem to appreciate that it's a converted van with very basic gas and water systems, and not motorhome.

Epigram

There is a lot of discussion about this on the California forum including the need for stickers for various countries.

Certification, sticker or no sticker, common sense is to mitigate and avoid risks by turning off the gas at night, when travelling and when not in use.

I doubt many portable gas cookers get tested yet the complexity for the cooker in an MP is not much different. Admittedly there is a shorter connection to the gas cylinder with a portable stove but they can suffer considerably more vibration and abuse AND the gas connection to the cylinder is remade more frequently. It is perhaps just as well they are used mainly outside.

Last edited: