Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory-Fit v Aftermarket Heating

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
I'm in the process of buying a pre-loved MP which doesn't have the factory-fitted diesel heater and ma thinking of going down the after-market route.

Having searched the forum I've found an example of an after-market installation of a Webasto heater (by Tim Puslow) and wondered if anyone could share their views on the Webasto v Eperspacher heater & controls and also the factory-fit version. If possible, some photos of the installations (controls and inlet/outlet) would be really helpful.

Thanks, Mike

SteveR

I can't comment a great deal on aftermarket heating solutions. However, I can say that both factory fit options - warm air and the heated water option - work very well and are very nicely integrated, i.e. a switch as part of the dash (and remote) for the water heater and warm air heating controlled by the centre habitation console. From images I've seen this is slightly less intrusive obviously than aftermarket.
However, the big BUT is the cost. I paid a stupid amount for both options. I understand there are standard fittings available now so may be a moot point if you are buying new and if you are buying pre-owned you won't have the financial hit either where naturally you may have to pay a decent amount if you fit retrospectively.
Not sure if this helps or even makes sense. Good luck with you research and purchase

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
I can't comment a great deal on aftermarket heating solutions. However, I can say that both factory fit options - warm air and the heated water option - work very well and are very nicely integrated, i.e. a switch as part of the dash (and remote) for the water heater and warm air heating controlled by the centre habitation console. From images I've seen this is slightly less intrusive obviously than aftermarket.
However, the big BUT is the cost. I paid a stupid amount for both options. I understand there are standard fittings available now so may be a moot point if you are buying new and if you are buying pre-owned you won't have the financial hit either where naturally you may have to pay a decent amount if you fit retrospectively.
Not sure if this helps or even makes sense. Good luck with you research and purchase
Thanks Steve - I'd appreciate a couple of pics of the factory install if possible - presume the heater inlet and outlet are under the passenger seat? Is the control part of the same item that controls the roof etc?

SteveR

Thanks Steve - I'd appreciate a couple of pics of the factory install if possible - presume the heater inlet and outlet are under the passenger seat? Is the control part of the same item that controls the roof etc?
Seriously the factory install hasn’t got anything to photograph really. There are a couple of vents where the warm air comes out but I honestly wouldn’t notice them. The heated water version has a switch on the dashboard alongside the other controls, e.g. cabin temperature and the hot air version is controlled via the centre control unit. There is really very very little to notice.