Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DVLA classification

Toxicdave

Purchased our secondhand MP last May and it was registered as an MPV. I was paying the expensive RFL band and it caused me a few problems getting it insured as a camper van and not an MPV. I have posted before on this group about getting the classification changed and been in contact with the DVLA numerous times including with a researcher looking into the classification of these vehicles.
Well just an update: I was asked by the DVLA to "ask the manufacturer to supply the DVLA?SMMT make and model codes for you particular vehicle"
I contacted MB at Milton Keynes and got this information back almost by return of email. Sent it to the DVLA and I have just received a new V5 listing my vehicle as a "Motorcaravan" accompanied by a cheque for the excess RFL paid. Posted in case anyone else wishes to follow suit.

Grand Tourismo

Purchased our secondhand MP last May and it was registered as an MPV. I was paying the expensive RFL band and it caused me a few problems getting it insured as a camper van and not an MPV. I have posted before on this group about getting the classification changed and been in contact with the DVLA numerous times including with a researcher looking into the classification of these vehicles.
Well just an update: I was asked by the DVLA to "ask the manufacturer to supply the DVLA?SMMT make and model codes for you particular vehicle"
I contacted MB at Milton Keynes and got this information back almost by return of email. Sent it to the DVLA and I have just received a new V5 listing my vehicle as a "Motorcaravan" accompanied by a cheque for the excess RFL paid. Posted in case anyone else wishes to follow suit.
Great info Toxic and a win!

Deckard

Thanks - I'm following up on this and have just sent MB an email requesting the information.

Great info Toxic and a win!

Deckard

Did you deal with anyone in particular at MB ?

KevinIan

How does it affect road tax? On my vehicle registration certificate it's classed as a diesel estate car.
Surely, if you're using a toll road, like the M6 Toll, your toll is £7.00 for a car instead of the £12.30 for a van. Is this correct?

Deckard

How does it affect road tax? On my vehicle registration certificate it's classed as a diesel estate car.
Surely, if you're using a toll road, like the M6 Toll, your toll is £7.00 for a car instead of the £12.30 for a van. Is this correct?
Mine is classed as an MPV - the road fund licence calculation is a bit of a mystery to me - but there are other shere that have gone into it more thoroughly.

Has anyone apart from Toxicdave managed to do this? I have received the spec sheet info from Mercedes customer services. Do I need to send photos of the interior of the van as well as the spec sheet to the DVLA.

BobbyMillar

Has anyone apart from Toxicdave managed to do this? I have received the spec sheet info from Mercedes customer services. Do I need to send photos of the interior of the van as well as the spec sheet to the DVLA.
Hi Maid
Yes, there was another thread with others like me who have done this. See the V5c Insurance warning thread. (sorry don't know how to put a thread link in here.
Rob

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member

The tax paid if the vehicle cost more than £40000 when new (£335 per year for 5yrs) doesn't apply to motorcaravans.

TMC

My post from December was about registering a new MP but may be helpful. It describes the process MB have to go through but once registered as a motor caravan results in reduced tax and less risk of breaching clean air zone rules

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
@Maid in Cornwall and @Deckard have you made any progress with this?

I have to visit a dealer today and am going to ask for the info mentioned above. I'm still not exactly sure of the procedure DVLA require to change the classification if I do get the info but will cross that bridge if I get there:)

Deckard

I'm still waitig on MB. First they asked for a copy of my regustration document then, after I'd sent that, they wanted proof of identity. I sent that 8 days ago and am still waiting. I'll chase them up right now.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thanks @Maid in Cornwall and @Deckard

The person I spoke to at the dealership was a little dismissive of my request but said she would pass it on to the sales dept and I would be contacted by email, we'll see!

Deckard

@Maid in Cornwall and @Deckard have you made any progress with this?

I have to visit a dealer today and am going to ask for the info mentioned above. I'm still not exactly sure of the procedure DVLA require to change the classification if I do get the info but will cross that bridge if I get there:)
After waiting over a month and chasing them again - they sent me through the Service History - nothing to do with what I asked for. So, I've asked yet again.......