Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dogs in a MP

J

j200george

VIP Member
Hi All, I’ve got two wheaten terriers medium sized poochies. At present they get transported in the rear of my wife’s xtrail.

we are thinking of a MP full camper or Horizon, the car will be used for trips but also as a daily driver taking the dogs to country parks, beaches etc.

Where do you put your dogs? In the middle part or in the rear? If the rear I’m guessing you move out the rear bench if a horizon or the rear compartment with the seats and table?

All pictures welcome in replies, especially if there are dogs included :)

SteveR

Hi and Welcome,
I just used to either put our dogs bed or a folded blanket on the habitation floor area just behind the front seats. From time to time he'd stand up and poke his head in between the front seats and have a look out of the window and then usually curl up on the blanket again. Worked for us. Moving out the rear in a MP would not be a fun task!

J

j200george

VIP Member
When you say “moving out the rear in a MP” do you mean moving the bench in the horizon that looks like it can be lifted out wouldnt be a fun task, or do you mean that moving out the gubbins in the rear of a full fat camper (housing for table and chairs) and bench part wouldn’t be a fun task? Sincere apologies for loose use of terminology I am completely new to the MP.

SteveR

When you say “moving out the rear in a MP” do you mean moving the bench in the horizon that looks like it can be lifted out wouldnt be a fun task, or do you mean that moving out the gubbins in the rear of a full fat camper (housing for table and chairs) and bench part wouldn’t be a fun task? Sincere apologies for loose use of terminology I am completely new to the MP.
If you were thinking of using the 'boot' space in a MP you would need to take out the bed extension, and the supporting frame, and the canvas chair holder - Obviously chairs and table too.
These are all heavy, cumbersome items and I would guess may take you 20 or so minutes of quite physical but also awkward manoeuvering.
I seem to recall removing and refitting mine once - can't remember what for - but it was once only and I never bothered trying again.
Each to their own but putting his bed or blanket down in the habitation area is 20 seconds! :)

J

j200george

VIP Member
^^ yes I can see that would be a couple pain in the posterior. Sounds like they’re going in the middle area. Be nicer having them near me but I’ll need legally to ensure they are secured of course.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
@j200george Appreciate that it's a bit of a late response...we take our Sussex Spaniel when we go away. She travels in her sleeping crate which is positioned behind the front seats in our MP. We have the rubber floormat to protect the yacht floor and it means that the crate doesn't slip about - we use a blanket to protect the front seats just in case it does move. The crate simply lifts in and out and then the dog hops in via the sliding door. She also sleeps in the crate which minimises the amount of hair/mud etc. The crate either goes in the awning or folds up during the day. From our perspective it's a simple solution that ensures the hound (17Kg) is safe under braking and avoids any re-stows at night.
Hope that helps.

J

j200george

VIP Member
I had retained an all weather rubberised boot mat from a previous car BMW X3 it actually fits that area quite well. It’ll do for the time being whilst I figure out a more elegant solution. I just have the dogs halti harnesses hooked into the rail stays. Again it’s a temporary solution whilst I figure something more permanent.

SebaSz

Hi All, I’ve got two wheaten terriers medium sized poochies. At present they get transported in the rear of my wife’s xtrail.

we are thinking of a MP full camper or Horizon, the car will be used for trips but also as a daily driver taking the dogs to country parks, beaches etc.

Where do you put your dogs? In the middle part or in the rear? If the rear I’m guessing you move out the rear bench if a horizon or the rear compartment with the seats and table?

Attachments

• C13EAECE-7984-4BB5-9B04-3AC4E60D538A.jpeg
    C13EAECE-7984-4BB5-9B04-3AC4E60D538A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 4FB350ED-9124-4901-B4A2-9B107FE5EE94.jpeg
    4FB350ED-9124-4901-B4A2-9B107FE5EE94.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 9E8093B2-EA6A-411F-885B-5FD0FA7DBC97.jpeg
    9E8093B2-EA6A-411F-885B-5FD0FA7DBC97.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 18
Pete S

Pete S

VIP Member
We have a Danish Swedish farm dog, about 10kg. On early trips we used his cage, strapping it down to the floor rails just behind the front seats. That worked fine, but was a bit of a pain. Now he wears his "heavy duty" harness, and sits on his sheepskin rug on the rear seat, attached to one of the seat belt buckles by a short belt made for precisely that job:
The belt lets him move around a little, but doesn't let him jump off the seat. He also sleeps there at night (without the belt!) so the whole thing is familiar and he seems very happy with the arrangement.
Can't vouch for his safety in a crash, but I'm not sure that the cage would help him much there either.