Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discounts

Alan

hi
I have just signed up to the forum after reading most of the posts!
We have finally made the decision to go for a MP over the Cali after going for a test drive yesterday.
Now we have to choose the colour and spec!
We test drove the 220 Sport which seemed ok, but the the figures show that the 250 is quite a bit quicker on acceleration, can anyone comment on this.
To get a guide price for a factory build we chose the blue, with black seats, I added the night heater, tow bar and an awning. We decided against the Command as this seemed a lot extra for not that much benefit, but should I add the 360 cameras for the extra few hundred pounds, do they make parking any easier?

The sales guy seemed to know the product very well and was very good, and he gave me a 4% discount, this seems quite low compared to what other members have mentioned, 7-10% seems more common.
Should I try another dealer for a price, although I don’t like to go elsewhere to purchase after one dealer has spent a couple of hours with me.

Any help would be appreciated Alan

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Having just taken delivery of our MP ordered in April I would thoroughly recommend the 360 camera - it makes parking and close quarter manoeuvring a doddle.

With reference to discounts I think there are a number of factors at play - firstly some of the early models had slightly odd specs (no heaters, cupholders etc) and I think were heavily discounted to move them on. Of course you can retrofit heaters and cupholders if you want but it’s a bit of hassle to do so and won’t be covered by the MB warranty. Secondly I think there are some WLTP issues - MB had a problem with getting MP’s through a couple of months ago (our delivery was delayed nearly 3 months) and their problems now seem to be resolved but it appears that VW California’s are now being delayed which may mean more demand for MP’s. Thirdly I think (but don’t know for sure) that most car dealers get bonuses based on total sales in any quarter and sometimes may be willing to discount a vehicle more heavily if it helps them hit a particular sales threshold.

My view is don’t get too hung up on just getting the biggest discount - the after sales service on a vehicle like an MP is really important. I’m lucky our local dealer have been great - knowledgeable, communicative and supportive throughout (and I have probably had free coffee equivalent to a 1% discount in the last 6 months ). This my 3rd Mercedes from them (and a 4th just maintained) and I have not had a bad experience yet. I wouldn’t swap that for another few % discount.

GeorgeG

hi
I have just signed up to the forum after reading most of the posts!
We have finally made the decision to go for a MP over the Cali after going for a test drive yesterday.
Now we have to choose the colour and spec!
We test drove the 220 Sport which seemed ok, but the the figures show that the 250 is quite a bit quicker on acceleration, can anyone comment on this.
To get a guide price for a factory build we chose the blue, with black seats, I added the night heater, tow bar and an awning. We decided against the Command as this seemed a lot extra for not that much benefit, but should I add the 360 cameras for the extra few hundred pounds, do they make parking any easier?

The sales guy seemed to know the product very well and was very good, and he gave me a 4% discount, this seems quite low compared to what other members have mentioned, 7-10% seems more common.
Should I try another dealer for a price, although I don’t like to go elsewhere to purchase after one dealer has spent a couple of hours with me.

Any help would be appreciated Alan

I’m not sure what the current supply of MP’s is like at the moment, but I’m sure you can do a lot better than 4%. I have to take issue with rovimor here - where you buy your MP will have no effect on the sort of service you should receive for servicing and warranty work.

I was lucky to find a pre-reg V220 Sport with delivery mileage for 20% off list AND it had the warm air heater. It may have been an end of second quarter special, as I believe dealers get huge bonuses for shifting stock at this time. I’d look for a pre-reg if you can compromise on some things like colour. I didn’t particularly want blue, but I wanted a light interior. I really like the Cavansite blue now. I didn’t get the 360° camera which is a pity as I would thoroughly recommend it as worth every penny.

Regarding the V220 vs the V250, I drove both and was certain I would find the V220 inadequate. That was far from the case and I’m quite happy with the 163 hp engine. After all, it’s not a performance car and will happily cruise at motorway speeds (BTW, I speak as some one who has owned a number of fairly high performance cars and am often the first to criticise a vehicle for inadequate power).

Also, bear in mind that in Germany the Marco Polo, on the Mercedes van base, has been produced by Westfalia for over 20 years and the standard engine was only 82 hp!
Even the current shape MP, based on the V-Classe, starts life in Germany as a 114 hp manual and can be upgraded to 136 hp, 163 hp or 190 hp. So the v220, 163 hp MP is hardly the base model. Unlike the ‘lower’ model in the California range (150 hp) the 163 hp MP is a twin turbo, like the 204 hp California and this certainly helps the ‘take off’.

I’d definitely shop around. I saved enough money on the deal to pay for trips this year to New Zealand and Canada for 9 weeks!

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I did not suggest that Alan could not do better than a 4% discount I just stated my view that he shouldn’t get too hung up on getting the ‘biggest’ discount. I think it very unlikely that a normal retail customer could source a new MP of reasonable spec in the current market at c£47k-49k (list £59k-£61k) which is what a 20% discount would mean and if anybody can - good luck to them and come to that well done to you as long as you are happy with your purchase. From our own perspective we intend to keep our MP for 8-10 years+ and are confident that we will feel that we have received value for money at the end of that period and that we will have had some great adventures along the way.

GeorgeG

Apologies rovimor if I misconstrued your advice. I appreciate that one’s approach to car buying is a very personal thing. I always try for a good discount if buying new (factory order), but have to admit I’m not very good at it - I only managed 2% off a new California in 2007. I have a friend who never negotiates and pays list price, generally on new BMW’s. Another friend, on the other hand, will spend weeks playing one dealer off against another. When he bought his current car (also a BMW) the salesman at his local dealer lost his job because he had agreed to better a broker’s price when his manager was at lunch.

In my case, I’m acutely aware of depreciation having bought 3 camper vans and a caravan in the last 11 years. When you’re as fickle as that you have to negotiate a keen price! If, as in your case, you intend to keep the MP long term, then I agree the level of discount is not quite as critical. A few years ago I ran a Volvo estate for over 10 years and then gave it to my eldest daughter - financially quite a prudent move. A neighbour who bought a similar Volvo estate to mine at this time is still running it 23 years on. I’m sure they consider whatever discount they achieved quite irrelevant now.

Anyway, good luck to Alan and I’m sure he will love his MP whatever he pays for it - we certainly do.

Alan

Thanks guys

I didnt want to start an argument :)

I have now negotiated a much better price, I will advise details once I have spoken to the financial controller ( the missus), and we have placed our order.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
No argument from my end and no offence taken - just a slightly different perspective. I think we all agree it’s a great vehicle and will lead to some great experiences. Have fun.