Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detailing kit

Grand Tourismo

Not really a technical enquiry but has anyone got any firm options on which vehicle cleaning/detailing kit to use?
I have used Auto Glym, Maguires etc in the past...and it seems the most successful kit I have used was a freebie Mini kit (maybe because it was free and I had a low expectation level!)

No wrong answers here....fire away!

Webbah

I'm a huge fan of Gyeon products on all my cars. For my new MP I will soon be applying a Graphene coating after a do a stage one polish. Graphene is the next generation ceramic coating and is absolutely amazing. Easier to apply and the gloss and hydrophobic properties are simply stunning. Using pro level graphene with 10H hardness has protection that lasts 7-10 years. I first need to do the stage 1 polishing to remove the slight swirls in the clear coat due to the dealer using a tunnel wash. Before applying any protective coatings you need to ensure the prep work is done properly. A bit of effort beforehand leads to a very easy to maintain and beautiful end result! Check out the videos on YouTube from "Pan the Organizer". He is excellent with his step by step videos and product recommendations!

Side tip, I bought a battery powered leaf blower and use that to dry my cars after a wash, especially when I detail the rims. Blowing out the water after cleaning them helps prevent the instant forming of rust, etc on the brake rotors. I also coat my rims with graphene or ceramic to make it easier to maintain, and then use a spray and rinse detailing spray (ceramic based) to keep them nice looking long term and maintain the hydrophobic properties.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Everyone has their fav products, some cheap and some costing a fortune, personally I think the tools you use, the method and how long your prepared to devote has far more impact on the look of the car than the actual products.

I have spent hours claying, decontaminating, polishing and waxing. It's not surprising that the longer you spend doing it the better it looks.

The very basic for me is prewash with either garden spray of snowfoam lance.
Pressure wash with low power nozzle.
2 bucket wash, one warm with shampoo one clean water fitted with Detail Guardz Dirtlock which I like to use on top of a standard scratch guard. I like Microfiber Madness Incredipads, starting at the top and working down in horizontal movements not circular..
Wheel woolies are great, I have a set bought when the Mazda below was new and they are still going.
Rinse with hose so water 'sheets' then dry with a microfibre towel, avoid chamois or water blades unless you want scratches and swirls.
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy car drying towels are brilliant, start at the top then work down just dabing the paintwork. Use different towel for wheels. Wash in non bio and no softener and if they seem to lose absorbency adding white vinegar to the was can help.

My wife's Mazda was bought new and is now over 5yrs old. Much to the dealers consternation we took delivery with an inspection but asked that nothing to be touched, all protective film etc was intact and no young lad was allowed near it with a sponge ready to inflict swirls. We drove it to a detailer who did all the prep, corrective polish and sealant as @Webbah has mentioned but using Gtechniq products. Best money I've ever spent on an 'accessory' and not much more than the crappy paint protection the dealers try to sell. (Something the size of an MP will cost, but I've seen a T6 conversion with the full treatment and it was just stunning:cool:) No hard work here, just washing as above is all we have done to the car in that time, dirt just falls off, water still beads and sheets almost as it did when new and it's just a pleasure to wash.

We collected the inevitable car park scars over the years and recently had them rectified. We took it back for those bits treated and the rest topped up. Pics are in the detailer temp controlled shop. We're all set for another 5yrs.:)

Sorry for long post:rolleyes:

Mazda paint 1.jpg

Mazda paint 2.jpg

Mazda paint 3.jpg

Method7

I use MB, every time it goes in filthy and comes out looking great. It’s such a big vehicle to wash, I have done it a couple of times in the 3.5 years I have owned it and just washing it, cleaning out all the door jams and inside the boot takes about 3 hours. We don’t have much off road space so it’s a pressure wash to start with and then double bucket wash. Not unlike SBD on this, products are irrelevant- like aftershave and deodorant necessary but personal.
It’s all about time, timing and atmospheric conditions. After 2 washes a decent cold water chamois down the hard work can begin.. tools help more than products - I discovered this after a product I thought was ace ran out - substituted it and realised that the brush it came with was doing all the work.

I was considering getting the van some sort of ceramic treatment but decided that it could never be applied properly even when new. Our car was 6months old ex demonstrator with 150 miles on the clock, after I got it home I noticed loads of glue marks from where the dealer must have removed protective film, they are still there so any ceramic treatment would have just been applied over the top. I don’t believe MB would have properly prepared the paint prior to applying the coating.

detailing tools those are the things that make the job easier and provide the best results but as SBD has said it’s all about time..