Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cruise control and LIM - help me to understand please

J

j200george

VIP Member
Hi all,

despite being a mp owner for a month now and yes, I have the manualbut for some reason I’m struggling to comprehend the value of the LIM function.

I get cruise ok. You bump the control stalk down and it initiates cruise. You select up or down and it increments/ decrements in 1 mph or 5 mph steps. All fairly standard stuff.

but what does the limiter do? All I can see is a yellow lamp at end of cruise stalk comes on…

can any MB expert or someone with half a brain please humour me?

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Hi all,

despite being a mp owner for a month now and yes, I have the manualbut for some reason I’m struggling to comprehend the value of the LIM function.

I get cruise ok. You bump the control stalk down and it initiates cruise. You select up or down and it increments/ decrements in 1 mph or 5 mph steps. All fairly standard stuff.

but what does the limiter do? All I can see is a yellow lamp at end of cruise stalk comes on…

can any MB expert or someone with half a brain please humour me?
It's a speed limiter - you can set the maximum speed regardless of how heavy your right foot is. It's pretty useful to make sure you don't get caught by speed cameras (most commonly in average speed zones with a low speed such as motorway roadworks).

Hope that helps,
Mike

J

j200george

VIP Member
It's a speed limiter - you can set the maximum speed regardless of how heavy your right foot is. It's pretty useful to make sure you don't get caught by speed cameras (most commonly in average speed zones with a low speed such as motorway roadworks).

Hope that helps,
Mike
Thanks Mike so all you are really doing is setting a maximum and your right foot can do whatever it likes but your speed won’t go over that maximum. Ok.

I had hoped my car had the version of distronic cruise that reacts to the car in front. Clearly not.

I wonder if anyone has ever retrofitted this to a MP and what are the likely the costs.

my other car is a Tesla which of course has that feature as standard so jumping from one to the other can cause a few transition issues.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
I suspect that the radar-controlled cruise is part of the driver assistance package - the front radar sensor is there (you get a red warning when the car thinks you're too close the one in front) - whether that's integrated is another matter.

Might be worth chatting to Comand on-line or Braybrooks - they have a track record in retrofits. However, it could just be software as opposed to wiring etc. Also worth a look on MBClub.co.uk (very helpful Mercedes enthusiasts forum)

J

j200george

VIP Member
I might need a new cruise stalk if I go down this route, do cars with adaptive cruise have a twist button at the end of the stalk. Pretty sure mine doesn’t move.

Method7

i think most of the hardware for adaptive cruise control is missing - i believe cars with adaptive cruise control have a different (filled) three pointed star badge on the front - I believe it houses the sensors... and yes i think you may well need a new stalk that has the twist function..

J

j200george

VIP Member
So I reached out to comandonline and this is the response I got having provided my VIN and car details for a quote to retrofit adaptive cruise. Clearly I have the standard cruise and limit functionality but as I drive a Tesla am having one or two issues in going between cars.

“Sadly Mercedes have put a stop to the retrofitting of any option that controls the speed or direction of the car, sorry.”

short and not so sweet but at least it’s a response which from many companies these days is getting to be a rarity.

J

j200george

VIP Member
And here is the reply….

“We are unable to retrofit Distronic Cruise Control (adaptive or otherwise) due to the safety critical nature of this product.

Mercedes will not administer this process and our insurance company will not cover us for this type of work without this approval. Whilst technically this is a perfectly feasible task, for safety reasons it is the one task we will NOT take on at any cost. The risks are just too great as in the event of a failure the implications do not bear thinking about.

I’m sorry we cannot help on this occasion but please do bear us in mind for any future retrofits that you may be considering.

Regards,”

Neil Braybrook

Method7

well a better response to MB at least is possible, I wonder if they could supply the parts needed?
You cant blame them for refusing.. its a good excuse to trade it in for a new one :Banana Dance

J

j200george

VIP Member
well a better response to MB at least is possible, I wonder if they could supply the parts needed?
You cant blame them for refusing.. its a good excuse to trade it in for a new one :Banana Dance
Eek no I’ve just bought it and the car is mint with only about 7k miles on it. I’ll just have to live without it.