Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crosswind Assist

Steve B

Something I didn’t know the MP had! Was out on a covid compliant journey yesterday and went past a known crosswind hot spot, and it was gusty. I did slow down but a big blast hit and the warning came on, it was good, I didn’t have to do much to keep in a straight line. Was very impressed

SteveR

Something I didn’t know the MP had! Was out on a covid compliant journey yesterday and went past a known crosswind hot spot, and it was gusty. I did slow down but a big blast hit and the warning came on, it was good, I didn’t have to do much to keep in a straight line. Was very impressed
I'd never heard of it to be honest.
Was it just a warning light or did it actively counter steer?

Blackrat

Have to admit that it’s not something I have heard of before. Is it standard on the V class or an option.
What does it actually do when a cross wind is detected?

The fat controller

AFAIK this is a standard feature on the v class. My understanding of it (which may well be incorrect) is that it applies some braking action to the windward wheels in order to correct the line, rather than countersteering. Anyone with actual experience may want to contradict me, mine is paper knowledge only!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Originally fitted to Sprinters, obviously quite susceptible to crosswinds, it worked as per @The fat controller said. VW used a different system on the Crafter which up until recently was very closely related to the Sprinter.

I believe that Mercedes now used the system first used in the Crafter which is tiny automatic steering corrections to counter the effect of strong winds.

I don't have a clue what's fitted to the MP's though.

Steve B

I had a look online and its as per above, fitted to the merc van range as standard, developed for the sprinter. Uses selective wheel braking to correct; all I know is that when a big gust hit, you could hear it and the van tilted but all I did was a bit of steering into the wind. A windsock symbol and a chime from the dashboard came on at the same time. I didn't move out of the lane I was in, no drama.

SteveR

I had a look online and its as per above, fitted to the merc van range as standard, developed for the sprinter. Uses selective wheel braking to correct; all I know is that when a big gust hit, you could hear it and the van tilted but all I did was a bit of steering into the wind. A windsock symbol and a chime from the dashboard came on at the same time. I didn't move out of the lane I was in, no drama.
Thank you - You learn something every day and also discovered a bonus feature :)