Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couple of UI questions

J

j200george

VIP Member
Hi all, I’m a complete newbie to Mercedes Benz ownership, you’ll probably have guessed from the level of questions I’ve been posting thanks so far for all your support.

I have a couple of questions I can’t find answers to online or in the manual. Not sure if anyone has any practical insight they can share.

My system is COMAND not MBUX.

1) what’s the quickest way, when driving to stop the air venting in the rear? Reason I ask is if I’m in the car myself there’s a force 3 gale blowing in the rear cabin and I would prefer some silence.

I know I can go into the climate screen then navigate down and left and select “rear seating” then in that screen I can then navigate right most and uncheck the rear climate option. Fine. It stops, however when driving it’s too many clicks and I also have to do that EVERY time the car ignition is restarted. Is there a way to save preferred settings, or at least manage it without all the faff?

2) my car has park assist. I’ve not been brave enough to try it yet. I know I can switch off the parking sensors by pressing the “P(((“ button left of the touch pad and if I do the parking icons in the driver dash board goes off and on with each press. However in the infotainment screen this icon remains,…. My question is what is it?
Please forgive my choice of radio presenter.
F349693A-6485-472D-BC1A-253B36360A05.jpeg

Method7

The circled icon means the car has a connection to the Mercedes SOS service. I presume it’s via satellite since it has a connection even when our phones have no service in the Scottish highlands.. I may be wrong…

the controls are on the overhead console… we used it once when to get recovered from Three Sisters with a double blowout after hitting a pot hole on the apex of a bend in the dark.

Method7

One of many vehicles with punctures.

Attachments

• 0DC6B9F2-9450-406E-9470-ACAF02381C46.jpeg
    0DC6B9F2-9450-406E-9470-ACAF02381C46.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 2
  • CB0C1530-5E73-4BAA-B930-CB75DA08A8F2.jpeg
    CB0C1530-5E73-4BAA-B930-CB75DA08A8F2.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1C9FCCC8-2C6E-4AC8-8916-B16360526CA9.jpeg
    1C9FCCC8-2C6E-4AC8-8916-B16360526CA9.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 2

Epigram

Hi j200george
I don’t normally drive with climate contol on automatic but put air conditioning on and off as and when I need it.
As you say you can control the air circulation ( front/ reat etc ) from the menu to shut off the rear fan.
As far as I know ( others may correct me) selecting the A/C button reflects this and does not turn the rear fan back on if the car is restarted. However if you select the Auto button, the climate control has a “mind of its own“ and will bring the rear fan back on.
Scrolling down menu screens may be fine when stationary but IMO you can’t beat ergonomically placed knobs and switches when driving.

Steve B

I seem to have the only non auto aircon MP in the country! (unless there is another.....). I missed it when we bought ours as it was a no cost option selected by someone else, and was initially disappointed. In practice its really good for two in the front as it doesn't have the same number of vents in the back, it keeps your settings and its been great/easy to use - you can't go back to auto. I don't have the vents either side of the rear side lights, so it also looks cleaner.

Epigram

I don’t think younare missing much. My passengers have never complained about my manually controlling the A/C. Probably the least of their worries if I’m driving .
Modern vehicles have far too many software based systems to go wrong if a sensor fails.
I disabled many of the MBUX “features” on my GLC after the initial novelty wore off and the driver safety aids often give up the ghost if driving in prolonged heavy rain or snow at the time when when you need them most.

J

j200george

VIP Member
^^^ this, my other car is a Tesla and the auto climate is a pain in the bollocks. Forever blowing a gale when it’s really not needed or not blowing when it should. Ux/ Ui designers, just because you CAN it doesn’t mean you should. Keep it simple stupid etc.

Last edited: