Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack

Mike C

Could anyone give me some advice on the best type of bike rack to fit to a 2019 MP Horizon AMG Line. The ball hitch mounted ones look the most usable but I dont have any need for a tow hitch other than a bike rack ? Is this still the best option rather than the tailgate mounted versions ? Im concerned about the ease of use with this type let alone any damage done to the back door !
Help appreciated

Carol

I prefer the tow hitch bike rack , as we have 2 e bikes combined weight close to 40 Kgs,
Need to be very selective as you can get 2 bikes on rack , with tilting action , bikes remain secure and rear door opens ,

Defender1

We bought an Atera Strada DL which works well with a Westfalia detachable towbar (retrofit, but same as factory bar). The Atera allows you to tilt the bike rack and open the tailgate, which our old Thule G6 929 rack didn't allow.

Method7

We have a Thule G6 929 three bike with the 4th bike extension and a Westfalia removable tow hitch fitted to our 2018 AMG. In its factory setting you cannot open the tailgate with it folded but you can adjust the wire rope that acts as the retaining strap so that the rack lays almost parallel with the ground and it gives enough clearance for the tailgate to open fully. It’s easy to adjust with a spanner by moving the strap along to the next hole that is already in the frame

Defender1

We have a Thule G6 929 three bike with the 4th bike extension and a Westfalia removable tow hitch fitted to our 2018 AMG. In its factory setting you cannot open the tailgate with it folded but you can adjust the wire rope that acts as the retaining strap so that the rack lays almost parallel with the ground and it gives enough clearance for the tailgate to open fully. It’s easy to adjust with a spanner by moving the strap along to the next hole that is already in the frame
Ahhhh, don’t I feel stupid now. I just sold the same 4 bike rack as your’s on eBay recently after owning it for 6 or 7 years and replaced it with the Atera. I didn’t notice that adjustable feature in the instructions so a lesson learned and about £140 wasted to change over for a new 4 bike Atera.

If I could offer a comparison, not that anyone asked, I would say that the Atera is much lighter and I definitely prefer how easily and securely goes onto the towbar on both our cars, and it does give more room at the tailgate when the rack is slid back. The sliding mechanism is clever and slick. Nevertheless I feel the Thule was much sturdier in construction and is just more robust. In use, it’s certainly easier to load the bikes onto the Thule G6 once on the cars, especially factoring in the wheel straps on both models. If I had known I could alter the G6 I certainly wouldn’t have changed and as another bonus, the LED lights on the Thule even after much use are still very modern and clear and the locks easier to use/more secure but that might just be me getting used to something new in fairness.

Method7

@Defender1 We originally fitted this rack to our old V280 and I was pretty disappointed to find that it didn’t clear the tailgate so started looking at it to see if I could find a hack that solved the problem..

It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected and I don’t remember reading the instructions because when we purchased it, the retailer actually assembled it and fitted it to check the lights.

It’s very handy and I use it for transporting all sorts of clunky and dirty stuff including a rotavator but the sliding feature of the Atera is probably much lighter than the fold on the Thule, we usually carry one e-bike and three other fairly average bikes varying in size so it’s it’s not exactly a light weight package.

Getting back on subject and assuming you don't already have a towbar fitted I’m guessing it would be much cheaper to get a tailgate mounted rack.. they defiantly look very Campervan and if your regularly hauling a couple of bikes about then why choose anything else?

We chose to retro fit a removable towbar and use the rack we already had, the towbar can only make the car more desirable since when it’s not fitted who would know and it open up dozens of opportunities for doing much more with the van.

Another factor to consider is the number of bikes you might want to transport. My mate has 3 kids and he gets all 5 bikes on his towbar mounted rack, then there is weight, the e-bike is an aluminium Orbea katu town bike but its a real lump and I don’t think I could safely load that onto a tailgate mounted rack. I currently lift one end and roll it onto the rack at knee height.

I do find it a bit of a faff having to fit the tow hitch, then the rack, check the lights and load it, you can’t just put the bikes on in any old order they need organising so that bars don’t clash with bars or seats. It takes a little working out and one bike I have to loosen off the bars and spin them 90° so we don’t damage the rear of the van. I guess this is a issue with any rack but learning this with the bike at chest height is really going to sting..

If it was just me and the Mrs going to sportives every other weekend and carrying quality light weight bikes then I would definitely opt for a tailgate mounted rack. Or a maybe an old Volvo T5R estate.

Spike

Hello, I’m thinking of getting the towbar mounted Thule VeloSpace XT 3. Any thoughts on that one ? Cheers, Spike

Last edited:

Method7

Hi @Spike its difficult to say, the XT3 looks like the 929, the fold action seems similar and it even has the 4th bike extension. My bet is that it will work if not maybe with a little bit of tinkering. I’m sure if it doesn’t work you can always send it back. If you use Halfords they may well fit it for you and if it’s no good you can refuse it.

Spike

Hi @Spike its difficult to say, the XT3 looks like the 929, the fold action seems similar and it even has the 4th bike extension. My bet is that it will work if not maybe with a little bit of tinkering. I’m sure if it doesn’t work you can always send it back. If you use Halfords they may well fit it for you and if it’s no good you can refuse it.
Hi,

Thanks for the advice Method7.

I am hesitating between:
a) The model that doesn't fold - Thule 926002 bicycles VeloCompact 926, and
b) The model that does fold - Thule 934100 EasyFold XT, 3...

However, the real question I have for this forum is, will I be able to open the boot with either of these on?

he long rear hatch on the Marco Polo is my concern. Will it not hit the bikes as I try to open the boot?

I was curious if anybody here had had any experience with either of these models ??

Cheers,
Spike

Carol

I have a pro user plus 2 . It is a few cms longer where it locks on to towball , l put two e bikes on it weight aprox 42 kilos . This allows the bikes to lay almost level with the ground and still be in locked position .My tailgate opens fully.
l know this is not an answer to your question ,but it might help.

Epigram

Just to add my ten pennyworth - about 4p in decimal currency and worth as much !
It might be worth being aware that there is a post somewhere on this forum about a tailgate rack failing and breaking the rear window. Expensive.

Method7

Just to add my ten pennyworth - about 4p in decimal currency and worth as much !
It might be worth being aware that there is a post somewhere on this forum about a tailgate rack failing and breaking the rear window. Expensive.
Yes I remember that, And I remember having doubts about how that could have happened... info supplied was vague. My bet is, that rack was backed into something. I can see no other explanation of that kind of failure. It’s so easy to forget you have the bikes loaded. The rack is always in view, seeing it through the window is normal.. it’s out of sight from the rear camera and the door mirrors.

at least with a towbar mounted rack you can see it in the rear camera, it a not much help but it’s a good reminder it’s on there.

Spike

Hi,

I am hesitating between:

However, the real question I have for this forum is, will I be able to open the boot with either of these on?

he long rear hatch on the Marco Polo is my concern. Will it not hit the bikes as I try to open the boot?

I was curious if anybody here had had any experience with either of these models ??

Cheers,
Spike
Hello Friends,

I have been meaning to update you for a while now on my experience with the “Thule 934100 EasyFold XT, 3 Bikes, 13 pin”.

I am happy to report that after a bit of fiddling, it is compatible with the Marco Polo 2017 build !

Initially I installed the rack and was dismayed to find I was missing 2 or 3 cm of clearance to open the rear hatch – argh!! I then went on explored getting a new longer tow-bar and all other kinds of ridiculous alternatives but to no avail…

Then, later and by chance, I was at my local bike dealer, and he pointed me to a very ingenious solution. Simply remove the rubber plugs that go into the end of the aluminium tubes on which the rack comes to rest when folded down. This allows you to swing the rack all the way to the ground, and gain a few precious cms for the rear hatch of the Marco Polo to clear the rack. With all my bikes mounted on the rack the bikes can then be left to rest flat on the ground, resting on the handlebar of the outermost/rearmost bike. This enables me to load unload alone.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Best,

Spike

Hi,

I am hesitating between:

Cheers,
Spike
We have a Thule compact - I think the 926 (few years old now but looks similar to the Halfords current photos) and it is not possible to open the tailgate in tilt mode. The compact doesn't have a strap - it is welded together so there is no adjustment possible.

Spike

We have a Thule compact - I think the 926 (few years old now but looks similar to the Halfords current photos) and it is not possible to open the tailgate in tilt mode. The compact doesn't have a strap - it is welded together so there is no adjustment possible.
When the rack is open, bikes at 45deg, what is the rack resting on ? On the Thule 934100 EasyFold XT, 3 Bikes, 13 pin there is a rubber plug in the steel tube. Removing that plug gets you a few extra cm of swing on the rack, enough to clear the hatch... Worth a try maybe ? Try looking at the end of the tube with the red arrow on it...

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I know I am more or less the only one with this opinion, but I really prefer the tailgate mounted bike rack. It comes down to five key reasons:

1. You will never have to take your bike rack off, and when it is folded up (without bikes on), you will not notice it is there, nor will it add to the length of the van if you already have a towbar mounted. A sub point to this is that you will not need to store the bike rack when it is not in use either. It is absolutely the main reason for those who use their bikes a lot.
2. When carrying either no bikes, one bike, or possibly even two lightweight bikes, you can lift the tailgate safely, and have full access to your van. Even though the tiltable towbar mounted racks will give you access to the van, it is nowhere near as comfortable as having the rack and bikes completely out of your way.
3. Flexibility. For the times when you have a need to carry a bike from a location you are already in. No need to say "sorry, my bike rack is in the garage at home". Just flip it down and you're good to go.
4. You can carry bikes and tow a trailer. I can think of a number of situations where this is an advantage
5. Both number plate and rear lights are visible, so no need to be fiddling with electricity and extra number plate, and the inevitable poor electrical contacts which leads to lighting failure.

So, trying to be a little objective here, and finding reasons NOT to go for a tailgate mounted option:
1. Some people report that they can damage your van. I won't say that they definitely will not, but it has not happened to any of my vans.
2. You have to lift the bikes up higher.
3. If you don't like the looks of a folded up bike rack (personally I think it adds to the adventurous look of the van..) then there's that.

StevieG

Hi Edward, we went for the tow ball fitted Atera Genio Pro - an awesome piece of kit, fully folds down with bikes on board so you can open the full tailgate, and unbelievably good customer support from Roof Box Company in Cumbria, U.K.

One possible extra vote for your tailgate pros / cons is that the tow ball needs recoding for reversing sensors etc … Mercedes have a huge problem with this - they won’t do it (eg after software upgrades) unless you’ve had the modifications enabling your MP to tow the space shuttle . Pesky!

Method7

All good points Edward, Idon’t think you can argue with that.. and if I had a VW I would probably have one, the MB tailgate mounted racks don’t look as good or as well constructed - as a permanent fixture they look great on a VW, I’m just not convinced that they look as groovy on the MP.

felamy10

Jumping on this conversation. I have an MP standard tailgate mounted bike rack and you cannot open the tailgate with bikes on it. The handlebar hits the roof and then it auto closes. Absolutely useless. One suggestion was loosen the handlebars and have them in line with the bike but I don't want to do this every time I want to use the bike. Just watched a video from campingsecrets using the the Thule XT3. I was super excited as he was testing it on a MP. Throughout the entire video he waxes lyrical about it, I've nearly ordered one before the end of the video, but at the end he can't open the tailgate and summarises that it is the best tow bar bike rack on the market unless you own an MP. Brilliant!!! Is there a towbar bike rack on the market that fits the MP and you can open the tailgate without having to do an A Team job on it first. Cheers

Last edited: