Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beeping sound when first drive off

JEAK

Hello - we have collected our Marco Polo today - 68 reg. very exciting.
When we drive away there is a high pitched beeping sound coming from the back.
It stops temporarily when we break and restarts when we take foot of break. Eventually it stops after about 3-4 miles of driving. Only to start again after about 20 mins of driving.
I think it’s to do with the water tank being empty as there is an attention symbol on the control panel with the water tank picture on.
Do others have the same problem? Is it meant to beep when the water tank is empty
Any ideas?
The dealer who we brought it from does not know what is causing it.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WILLH

Roof not latched down properly? Hookup cable warning sound switch faulty?

The empty water tank does not cause the buzzer to sound

Amazing how many dealers sell these vans yet know little or nothing about them.

JEAK

Thank you - I think it may be the roof thinking it is open when it’s not.
When we close roof, should the display change from open to close.
It reads open until it stops motioning.
If we turn engine on and off it then reads closed.
I wonder if it’s a faulty roof sensor.
Anyone know how to test roof closed sensor.

WILLH

Keep your finger on the button until it says closed on the display(usually a second or two after the roof stops moving)Sounds like you are not pressing for long enough to make sure roof is securely closed

JEAK

Thanks - garage recommend we call our Mercedes assistance. Rac man spent a few hours doing diagnostics etc. It’s definitely to do with the roof as it stops when roof fuse is removed. Only to be replaced by equally horrible noise to warn of missing fuse.
He suspects it’s a faulty sensor in the roof.
Can’t stop the horrible loud beeping so need to take to a Mercedes garage on Monday.
Has anyone else had issues with a faulty roof sensor. How did they confirm this is what it was and was it straightforward to get fixed?

WILLH

I’m sure there was a post on one of the Facebook sites detailing where the roof sensor is.This should have been checked as part of the pre sales process.In the meantime I would try putting the roof up and down half a dozen times to see if the problem corrects itself.keep your finger on the button for a few extra seconds when closed to make sure it can lock into place

Epigram

A few obvious pointers if you are raising and lowering the roof a few times. Take the mattress out and raise the bed in case there is an obstruction. Do it on the level and push down on each corner in case something is sticking.

I wouldn’t mind betting it’s one of the microswitches faulty or sticking. They are on each side near the scissor mechanism. They are pretty flimsy and poorly wired for an exterior sensor and seem to be waiting for damp to get into the connections etc. Not what you expect on a quality vehicle, even if the roof is Westfalia! I pointed this out to Mercedes. No guessing about the response!

Smearing a little light grease or vaseline on the locking bolt at the front. It might make the closing a little less clunky if the roof is not lined up.

You could also try a factory reset on the control panel. If you search the threads “factory reset” there is a post by Israel which describes how to do it. That thread related to heater problems but it should reset the whole control unit If it’s got “confused”.

Either way the dealer or Mercedes should sort it out.

Good luck and keep us posted.