Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery maintenance - using obd port?

1508ian

I have a Halfords solar charger which I'd like to use to maintain the main battery over the winter. It comes with a cigarette lighter plug, and also what I think is a plug for an OBD port.
The cigarette lighter socket in the dash isn't live unless the ignition is on. The socket in the back is, but I am not sure that it is connected to the main battery - I suspect it is just linked to the secondary battery (which should be ok as we have a larger solar panel on the roof connected directly into the battery charger).

Does anyone know if the MP has a live socket which I could plug my solar maintainer into? There seems to be an OBD thing under the dash but iis a connector block rather than something that the male/female terminal on the charger would fit into.

All ideas welcome!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I don't think there is an always live 12v socket from the starter battery. A reliable solution would be to change your charge controller to a Duo version that has two charging ports, this offers support charging of the vehicle's starter battery, usually a trickle charge of 1A.

The MP has the wiring from the mains charger to starter battery ready fitted. Some members on here have used Solar Camper Solutions for their solar installation and his kit offers this facility.

1508ian

I don't think there is an always live 12v socket from the starter battery. A reliable solution would be to change your charge controller to a Duo version that has two charging ports, this offers support charging of the vehicle's starter battery, usually a trickle charge of 1A.

The MP has the wiring from the mains charger to starter battery ready fitted. Some members on here have used Solar Camper Solutions for their solar installation and his kit offers this facility.
Interesting - thank you.
I have the Solar Camper Solutions 100 W panel with the VictronConnect Bluetooth MPPT controller, wired into the charger per the instructions. Does this mean that the panel is already charging both batteries, or do I need something else to achieve that result?
Thank you.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Interesting - thank you.
I have the Solar Camper Solutions 100 W panel with the VictronConnect Bluetooth MPPT controller, wired into the charger per the instructions. Does this mean that the panel is already charging both batteries, or do I need something else to achieve that result?
Thank you.

No, Victron make premium quality products but I don't think they make a MPPT controller with the ability to charge 2 separate batteries.

This would do the job but best to contact Solar Camper Solutions as he sells a charge controller and the required wiring to do the job.

1508ian

Many thanks for this. For the moment I'll see how I get on plugging my 6W Halfords solar panel into the OBD2 socket - seems nice and simple so far.