Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heater retro-installation

tobyw

Hi all,

I know there are multiple threads about this, but I thought it may be useful to show the retro-installation and costs of a Webasto 2Kw aux heater. This may be particularly useful to those owners with MPs @2018, like mine, that did not have it as standard as it is now. I know that it was (maybe currently?) a tremendously expensive option at @£3200 to have fitted at MB factory build, so this may give some perspective.

I had mine done at Dirty Weekender Vans http://www.dirty-weekender.com/ (also features in other posts here) and they suggested the Webasto 2kw heater. This feeds direct from the diesel fuel tank and uses @0.1 litre/hr so about 12p/hr costs. It is the digital version with built in thermostat (which runs off aux battery on start up) as for me, the app enabled version at about £400 more is a bit of a chocolate teapot. The cost was £1300+VAT, and took them 1.5 days (they have their own workshop on site). By their own admission they are mostly VW, but they have fitted around 700 Webastos and get about 5% MPs through the doors. The air intake is in the space between front seats, on the base of the driver's chair and the output hot air is at 90% to the input - so feeding into the passenger side of the bottom of driver's seat from which the heater unit is contained. Cleverly, the digital plate is in a blank above the door. All of this gives the appearance of being factory fitted but as per prices above it is less than half of the MB price (or old MB price if it is standard now).

Hopefully useful to someone, as this would have been to me prior.

Photos below - air output toward passengers of van, air intake between seats, console above door. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

jaffa

Thanks for sharing this - very useful and I agree, looks neat. I am thinking of doing this on my Horizon but will need to think of other options for the air intake as we keep our cool box there at the moment.

tobyw

If this is at all useful, I had the same dilemma but weighed up the frequency of [vital] use over the year against simply sliding my occupying Dunelm box back for the night. I decided that the neatness and obvious cavity below the seat in the van outweighed the annoyance factor of moving stuff around a little, but it sounds like it’d be easier for me with a Dunelm box than a cool box!

jaffa

Hi there

What was the verdict after the first autumn / winter of use? Assuming you have had a chance to use it of course!

Hi all,

I know there are multiple threads about this, but I thought it may be useful to show the retro-installation and costs of a Webasto 2Kw aux heater. This may be particularly useful to those owners with MPs @2018, like mine, that did not have it as standard as it is now. I know that it was (maybe currently?) a tremendously expensive option at @£3200 to have fitted at MB factory build, so this may give some perspective.

I had mine done at Dirty Weekender Vans http://www.dirty-weekender.com/ (also features in other posts here) and they suggested the Webasto 2kw heater. This feeds direct from the diesel fuel tank and uses @0.1 litre/hr so about 12p/hr costs. It is the digital version with built in thermostat (which runs off aux battery on start up) as for me, the app enabled version at about £400 more is a bit of a chocolate teapot. The cost was £1300+VAT, and took them 1.5 days (they have their own workshop on site). By their own admission they are mostly VW, but they have fitted around 700 Webastos and get about 5% MPs through the doors. The air intake is in the space between front seats, on the base of the driver's chair and the output hot air is at 90% to the input - so feeding into the passenger side of the bottom of driver's seat from which the heater unit is contained. Cleverly, the digital plate is in a blank above the door. All of this gives the appearance of being factory fitted but as per prices above it is less than half of the MB price (or old MB price if it is standard now).

Hopefully useful to someone, as this would have been to me prior.

Photos below - air output toward passengers of van, air intake between seats, console above door. Enjoy!
Hi, Is the heater unit mounted internal or external to the vehicle ?