Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic wipers

GeorgeG

I’m very disappointed with the automatic wipers on my MP. I’ve had several cars with this useful feature and my current Toyota, which has 4 settings for the length of the delay, is faultless in that it can be fine-tuned to just what I want.
The MP only had 2 settings and even the ‘quickest’ only starts to wipe when you can hardly see through the windscreen for rain. The only vehicle I’ve owned which was as bad as this was my Westfalia Columbus (Fiat Ducato). The most annoying thing with the Fiat was that I paid extra for the auto wipers and they were so un-automatic you had to start them manually before the auto would kick in. Similarly, the auto headlights were useless - if you went through a tunnel, when you came out the other end they’d stay on for 2 hours!

Does anyone know if the MP intermittent settings can be adjusted by the dealer? I hope the auto headlights are more sensitive than the wipers, as well as the auto dip (brilliant on my Toyota)

Dundry

I havn’t looked into settings as mine were set up by the dealer, but I drove back from Cornwall in the torrential dowpour on bank holiday weekend and mine worked perfectly so you probably need them adjusted.

GeorgeG

I havn’t looked into settings as mine were set up by the dealer, but I drove back from Cornwall in the torrential dowpour on bank holiday weekend and mine worked perfectly so you probably need them adjusted.

They work well in torrential rain. It’s light rain that’s the problem.

Steve B

Pulled up this old thread just to check with those on currently. Have used the wipers more in the past few months and find them a little temperamental, specifically:
  • In extremely light rain but constant the wipers go into fast mode occasionally even though the screen is virtually dry
  • When on fast mode the drivers side wiper slaps the A pillar so I have to switch off then on again
I did ask the garage to check the parked position and they said they were correctly fitted. Any thoughts?

Epigram

Not sure about slapping the A pillar - that feels like an adjustment issue or possibly worn wiper carriers as opposed to the rubbers.
Assuming they are the same (I haven’t looked) you could try swapping left and right to see if it makes a difference.
In relation to the errant operation try cleaning the windscreen over the rain sensor with some methylated spirit in case it has become greasy.
Good luck!

Tee

Ours slap the A pillar when on fast and lots of water on the screen. Annoying as you need to turn them back down when you need them fast. Let me know if anyone had same and fixed. Thanks. T.

Steve B

I’ve put new Bosch aero wipers on and they are the same. We are getting a new hinge on the roof so will check with the garage again. The hinge is still part of the roof replacement from a year or so ago.

Coolsailingdude

I’m very disappointed with the automatic wipers on my MP. I’ve had several cars with this useful feature and my current Toyota, which has 4 settings for the length of the delay, is faultless in that it can be fine-tuned to just what I want.
The MP only had 2 settings and even the ‘quickest’ only starts to wipe when you can hardly see through the windscreen for rain. The only vehicle I’ve owned which was as bad as this was my Westfalia Columbus (Fiat Ducato). The most annoying thing with the Fiat was that I paid extra for the auto wipers and they were so un-automatic you had to start them manually before the auto would kick in. Similarly, the auto headlights were useless - if you went through a tunnel, when you came out the other end they’d stay on for 2 hours!

Does anyone know if the MP intermittent settings can be adjusted by the dealer? I hope the auto headlights are more sensitive than the wipers, as well as the auto dip (brilliant on my Toyota)
From 150k miles driving various recent Mercedes with auto wipe, they need the occasional reset whilst driving to fine tune them. Just use the first setting and then delay going to the second setting for a few seconds. It needs to calibrate the amount of water being removed each time - they are almost too clever. A bit of a fiddle but fab when you master it. Drop back to the first setting for a few seconds and then back up. As far as hitting the A pillars…never in a month of Sundays is this correct. I generally find that Mercedes don’t know anything about this vehicle, they are offering a vehicle they are ill-equipped to support. It’s a great vehicle, deep snow, rain, mud, it handles it all, even on standard tyres but you have to trust your own knowledge and not rely on the pillocks at the main agents.

Steve B

The calibration i can sort of get, but the slapping sound cannot be right, who would design a car that does that! I'll try again.....