Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Audio choice

Tom rae

Looking at speccing my new MP but I cannot find a suitable audio option. I use Google maps for all my navigation, currently on my phone in my T5. My wife's new VW Up has a superb facility which is basically driven by the phone and can play media, show Google maps and make and receive phone calls using Bluetooth. I do not want a subscription service for traffic info etc. Will MP Audio 20 do the same?

Method7

It will connect via Bluetooth and all the controls work with the phone including call answering and audio play but I’m not sure about the maps. I haven’t tried it, I believe the mapping is a Garmin product and the van comes with a CD/DVD with Europe on. I’m not aware of a subscription but to be honest I have only used it once.

Mercedes do seem to have Apple play options but I don’t know how that is available.

Tom rae

Thanks Method7 however I understand Audio 20 is limited to phone and bluetooth media and the Discovery pack has subscription Garmin which is not what I am looking for.

Edit: sorry I meant the Command pack, Discovery is VW

Last edited:

WILLH

I specified COMAND which I would not do if I was ordering again-there is no DAB,TV tuner,and the mapping on my phone is better for navigation.

Reactions: Ian

Steve B

I think the DAB omission is poor for a vehicle of this type. The might of the Mercedes company defeated by an aerial issue? The R4extra comedy slots are one of the few things worth listening to.

Method7

For some reason I assumed it would have DAB, very surprised when I descovered otherwise. Judging by the amount of wire in the windscreen one could only assume it could receive anything.

The CD player has only been obsolete for 10 years or more, I can’t imagine how that was pitched to the design team, maybe they are predicting a CD revival.. except theres nowhere to store them.

That all seems odd and rather poorly thought out but I think the radio / Bluetooth is ok. You can get all that dab stuff to play through your phone so it’s not really a issue for me.

Spotify crashes every time the phone connects so I have to reboot it and start playing from scratch again. That’s a bit annoying as it doesn’t happen with the Bose. So I can only assume it’s the MB software tripping things up.

Steve B

I've not tried anything out yet, just connected the phone. LP's are really back in vogue, they might replace the CD with a nice turntable....

Steve B

I just had a look at the new 2019 brochure, and as mentioned somewhere here before the DAB function is now included. So it in the end it wasn't a problem that was insurmountable. I wonder how it was done and if there is a retro modification that can be done (££££...), as you can probably tell its the one thing that really annoyed me (it wasn't enough to stop a purchase though). I do have a work around on my iPhone, but that's not the point.

Tom rae

I just had a look at the new 2019 brochure, and as mentioned somewhere here before the DAB function is now included. So it in the end it wasn't a problem that was insurmountable. I wonder how it was done and if there is a retro modification that can be done (££££...), as you can probably tell its the one thing that really annoyed me (it wasn't enough to stop a purchase though). I do have a work around on my iPhone, but that's not the point.
Steve B, It was enough to change things for me and I now have a California Ocean which does have Android Auto and DAB. I found the choice a tricky one though as both the MP and the California have a wide range of pro's and cons.

Tom

Steve B

Steve B, It was enough to change things for me and I now have a California Ocean which does have Android Auto and DAB. I found the choice a tricky one though as both the MP and the California have a wide range of pro's and cons.

Tom
I think it was a lazy and unnecessary oversight by MB, and can understand why you went for a different make. My mates have VW’s and love them, as you say though, neither is perfect.