Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue Refill message

funkyegg

Hi guys, we are currently in lake district and the dashboard just came up with AdBle Refill message. The van has only done 2300 miles, is this the right mileage to refill adblue and how many miles can we still drive without refilling it as we are in the middle of nowhere at the moment:Headbang:...

Can I just get some from the fuel station and fill it myself or do I need to take it to a dealer? Cheers.

Ragga

Hi guys, we are currently in lake district and the dashboard just came up with AdBle Refill message. The van has only done 2300 miles, is this the right mileage to refill adblue and how many miles can we still drive without refilling it as we are in the middle of nowhere at the moment:Headbang:...

Can I just get some from the fuel station and fill it myself or do I need to take it to a dealer? Cheers.
Sounds about right. We bought ours from Halfords, comes complete with filler tube. Of the 10l purchased we got 5l in the tank.

funkyegg

Sounds about right. We bought ours from Halfords, comes complete with filler tube. Of the 10l purchased we got 5l in the tank.
Cheers Ragga, do you mean the MP can only hold approx. 5L of AdBlue? That's a bit of waste given you cannot keep any leftover for long. I'm thinking to use the adblue pump at the fuel station but I dont want to take the risk of over fueling it as the pumps are for trucks so might have higher flow rate...

Ragga

The instruction manual gives a choice of 2 volumes for the tank (25 or 11.5 l). I believe the tank size to be 11.5 l when fitted with auxiliary heater. When I scrolled to the adblue tank screen, the reported level went from 50% to nearly full when I had topped up

mptripsaway

The instruction manual gives a choice of 2 volumes for the tank (25 or 11.5 l). I believe the tank size to be 11.5 l when fitted with auxiliary heater. When I scrolled to the adblue tank screen, the reported level went from 50% to nearly full when I had topped up

Top up warning comes when just above 1/2 full! Way to early imo. I fill at truck stops when level showing approx 1/4 and generally takes 6 or 7 litres. 2500 miles from full will get the top up warning again but another 1000 miles+ is not a problem if you are willing to put up with the beep every time you put the key into the ignition.

funkyegg

Top up warning comes when just above 1/2 full! Way to early imo. I fill at truck stops when level showing approx 1/4 and generally takes 6 or 7 litres. 2500 miles from full will get the top up warning again but another 1000 miles+ is not a problem if you are willing to put up with the beep every time you put the key into the ignition.
Thanks Braysaway, that's reassuring as I don't have to do it in a rush:Thumbs up:

BabaJen

Thanks Braysaway, that's reassuring as I don't have to do it in a rush:Thumbs up:

You can also buy 2l bottles self-filling of the stuff. They serve nothing useful except to give you peace of mind that you will never run out. I keep one in the back of Alfie knowing I have at least 1,ooo miles in reserve shouts an irritating warning light come on.

Shell in particular seem very keen on setting up Ad Blu dispensers on a lot of their busy filling stations so I suspect before long its going to be just as easy filling up with it as it is with windscreen washer.

Onslow

We had a problem with this when touring in England (we live in France) in March/April. The MP had not long before had its first service and I asked them to top up the adblue. It did show full. However, after only about 1500 miles the top up warning came on despite it showing three quarters full. I topped it up using adblue in a container from a garage but it didn't stop the warnings. My main worry was that it was thinking it was nearly empty as apparently the engine will not restart once the adblue is gone. Took it to MB in Laceby near Grimsby. Great service and they said something about updating sofware. Seems to be the answer to everything but they did cure the problem.

Has anyone had fridge problems? Ours works fine most of the time but most trips it stops working after about three days. The first time I thought it was the fuse. However, switching it off, waiting a couple of minutes then restarting brings it back to life. Annoying though when you only realise that it has happened when your beers warm!

Explorer

Has anyone had fridge problems? Ours works fine most of the time but most trips it stops working after about three days. The first time I thought it was the fuse. However, switching it off, waiting a couple of minutes then restarting brings it back to life. Annoying though when you only realise that it has happened when your beers warm!

If the leisure battery is running low, the fridge is one of the first things that will be shut down.

Spekky

Has anyone got the dealer to change when the adblue refill message comes on?

We got our first message yesterday after 2100 miles and the dashboard service saying the adblue was over half full, which sounds about right as it took 5 litres to fill up and we have the aux air heater, which I understand means we have the 11.5l tank.

Although we could follow Braysaway's advice and just ignore the message, I would prefer the system to work sensibly instead. Maybe the warning is set at 6litres remaining, which would be 1/4 full for a 25l tank?

Katie

I don’t think you can change when the reminder comes on but I find it useful as I top up with a five litre container from Halfords as I find the ten litre one too heavy

Israel

Has anyone got the dealer to change when the adblue refill message comes on?

We got our first message yesterday after 2100 miles and the dashboard service saying the adblue was over half full, which sounds about right as it took 5 litres to fill up and we have the aux air heater, which I understand means we have the 11.5l tank.

Although we could follow Braysaway's advice and just ignore the message, I would prefer the system to work sensibly instead. Maybe the warning is set at 6litres remaining, which would be 1/4 full for a 25l tank?
No, you can't. Older models had the warning with 1/4 AdBlue but after one software update they aldo show the warning with 1/2. New models always show the warning with 1/2. No way it can't be changed.

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

Onslow

This is my second post on this subject (see previous). Once again, the warnings about needing to top up AdBlue came on when it was showing half full. I ignored it for the moment but, and I thought this would happen, the software now thinks it's dangerously low and I am being warned that the engine will not restart after 800km. I have to say that when we bought the MP new a couple of years ago all was fine. The AdBlue lasted for many thousands of Km and the warning came on at less than a quarter full each time (11L tank by the way). The problems started after the first service a few months ago when I asked them to top up the AdBlue and I suspect that they simply tampered with the software. The Mercedes garage near Grimsby in March assured me that they knew of no cases where the engine would not re-start but I hardly dare risk this! Now I must go the Mercedes again (here in Burgundy) and get it sorted. This on top of a recall because faulty wiring under the pivoting seats can cause the airbags to deploy!

Explorer

I think that software updates during service changes the way the consumption of AdBlue works. Strikter regulations (in combination of faul play from the manufactors of diesel cars) makes the consumption go up in order to keep the NOx exhaust down.
And warnings must show when there is less than 50% left. At some point the maximum speed will be limited, which would force you to refill.

Onslow

That's interesting. When it happened in England I put in several litres of AdBlue but it didn't register at all and I still kept getting the message for some time after. I suspect the same thing is happening now although I added about a litre yesterday (which also didn't make a jot of difference to the level shown). The manual says that when it is very low you have to add a minimum quantity otherwise it won't register. So I'm still no wiser now and just hope they can sort it - it's very irritating to say the least.

Ragga

I have done 2 refills now. On both occasions I topped up the adblue within 40 miles of the message occurring and used 5 litres each time to go from an indicated half full to full.
For our trip to Sardinia & I’ll be throwing a 5 litre container of adblue in the boot before setting off. Should be good for 4000 miles...

Ridgeway

What confused me with my Adblue level was the warning light came on when I’d completed only 800 miles. I topped up the tank with 5 litres and have since done another 1,200 miles without the light coming on.
I can only assume that whilst the dealer gave me a full tank of diesel they didn’t fill up the Adblue tank.
In my experience I suggest you have a container of Adblue in your vehicle and suss out how accurate the gauge is after filling it up at least twice. Be careful that you have a container with the lid seal still in tact as it’s messy if it leaks as it crystallises on contact with surfaces.

Katie

I don’t think the visual indicator is very accurate. I first topped up with two litres which made no difference. It was only when I added another three litres that it showed full and the warning message went.

pumpsmynads

Ahh, the topping up adblue experience.

For those of you old enough to remember when (cheap) cars were cr@p, it’s like having a car with an oil leak. You put your fuel in and every few thousand miles or so u top up with another fluid. You don’t know where it goes, you just add it until you sell the car.

:p