Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABS/Hill Start warning light

M

Monner

VIP Member
We were in France last week and the ABS/Hill Start yellow warning light showed on the dashboard and the cruise control turned itself off. Shortly afterwards the handbrake yellow light came on. The van was still drivable and the handbrake did work when parked. We had to stop our camping tour and wait over the weekend for a Mercedes Garage to open. The ABS light had gone off by then (we did slight steering L to R while driving along as per handbook). The garage were good in that they ran it through the diagnostics, played about with the handbrake switch and the light when off - hurrah! Didn't charge us for it. Continued on our journey and an hour later both lights came back on - boo! We can only think it was: hot weather which affected the electronics, or recent complete tyre change before we left which affected the sensor, or speed bumps in every little village we went through, or all three. Plus parking brake was inadvertently turned on while pulling off from parking space due to driver error. Now safely back in the UK, the warning lights have gone (for the time being). I think it's got to be more than the van being home sick. Has anyone else had the same problem and did they get to the bottom of it? Thanks for any comments.

Method7

Hmm well the one time I had those symptoms was in a old 1999 Vito when one of the sensor cages came off the drive shaft. The systems don’t seem to have changed much if the abs is playing up lots of stuff just doesn’t work. It could be a temperamental sensor or poor connection, I really don’t know how the later model R/Awd Vito’s do all that these days but it seems like you need to get things checked over but don’t accept any maybe’s from the engineers unless they are expecting a maybe payment.

M

Monner

VIP Member
Hmm well the one time I had those symptoms was in a old 1999 Vito when one of the sensor cages came off the drive shaft. The systems don’t seem to have changed much if the abs is playing up lots of stuff just doesn’t work. It could be a temperamental sensor or poor connection, I really don’t know how the later model R/Awd Vito’s do all that these days but it seems like you need to get things checked over but don’t accept any maybe’s from the engineers unless they are expecting a maybe payment.
Thanks, I think you're right, it's got to be something to do with the sensors, especially since we had all the tyres changed before we went. Will keep you posted.

marfthew

Hi Monner,

Did this happen again to you and did you get to the bottom of it?
We had the exact same thing happen several times on a recent trip to Cornwall, accompanied by the electronic sliding door and boot not opening. Every time before the light comes on it’s after 4hrs plus of driving and a bit of traffic braking, also right before it flashes on the brakes get grindy and almost like little slides at low speeds not even braking hard, a bit unnerving.

Been driving it for a week now back home with no problems at all, however booked in at Mercedes on Wednesday for a thorough check.
Our MP is a late 2019 with 16k

M

Monner

VIP Member
Hi Monner,

We had the exact same thing happen several times on a recent trip to Cornwall, accompanied by the electronic sliding door and boot not opening. Every time before the light comes on it’s after 4hrs plus of driving and a bit of traffic braking, also right before it flashes on the brakes get grindy and almost like little slides at low speeds not even braking hard, a bit unnerving.

Been driving it for a week now back home with no problems at all, however booked in at Mercedes on Wednesday for a thorough check.
No, thankfully. I think we concluded it was the combination of the bike rack on tow bar plus 2 bikes, the hot weather and the braking/speed bumps in all the little villages. I think the problem is that the diagnostic won't show up and intermittent fault if it's not happening at the time. You might be right about the 4 hours plus driving and Cornwall is twisty turny. Even so, it shouldn't happen. Hasn't put us off but I think we would avoid the above for extended periods of time. Good luck and please let us know if there is anything definitive.

John R

Hi Monner,

Hello all, did anyone get a reason for all these symptoms because the exact same is going on with our 2018 MP?

Any feedback will be helpful, had someone take a brief look and was told it is an ABS sensor on the front near side wheel? Not sure how that impacts the sliding door and boot though!

Thanks

marfthew

Hi, happened twice on mine, both times was an ABS sensor. Somehow the electric sliding door is linked. My boot would not even open either. But that’s nice in to Mercedes in the UK and another time France. Always the ABS sensor.

John R

Thanks so much for the reply, I just found another reference to this in another thread too! All very irksome, was off to North Devon surfing Monday next week, now sadly chasing local friendly garage to see if they can replace. Was told it’s only 1.5 hour job, we shall see!

Rayo

In Spain ant moment and same thing with ABS sensor light affecting sliding side door and back door. Had sensor replaced in Bilbao MB garage( €380)and all working fine again. Also had problem with battery light red showing on dash, seems to have rectified itself, the mechanic on call out was indicating alternator problem, you can run diagnostic test on steering wheel by pressing phone and ok simultaneously to check voltage of battery and current of alternator

RDJ321

We were in France last week and the ABS/Hill Start yellow warning light showed on the dashboard and the cruise control turned itself off. Shortly afterwards the handbrake yellow light came on. The van was still drivable and the handbrake did work when parked. We had to stop our camping tour and wait over the weekend for a Mercedes Garage to open. The ABS light had gone off by then (we did slight steering L to R while driving along as per handbook). The garage were good in that they ran it through the diagnostics, played about with the handbrake switch and the light when off - hurrah! Didn't charge us for it. Continued on our journey and an hour later both lights came back on - boo! We can only think it was: hot weather which affected the electronics, or recent complete tyre change before we left which affected the sensor, or speed bumps in every little village we went through, or all three. Plus parking brake was inadvertently turned on while pulling off from parking space due to driver error. Now safely back in the UK, the warning lights have gone (for the time being). I think it's got to be more than the van being home sick. Has anyone else had the same problem and did they get to the bottom of it? Thanks for any comments.
As mentioned its probably the ABS sensor.
It affects door and boot openings along with Cruise and loads of other electronic bits...
I changed the front right then 3 months later it was the rear right ... then 6 months after that the front left!
I bought and fitted them myself from EuroCarParts - They were £125 for front and rear.
Took me an hour and twenty to fit the front after watching YouTube!!!
Garage wanted £250 for each corner!!
There must have been a faulty batch 2017/18?

RDJ321

Thanks so much for the reply, I just found another reference to this in another thread too! All very irksome, was off to North Devon surfing Monday next week, now sadly chasing local friendly garage to see if they can replace. Was told it’s only 1.5 hour job, we shall see!
Im in N Cornwal - Enjoy the Surf !

M

Monner

VIP Member
Hello all, did anyone get a reason for all these symptoms because the exact same is going on with our 2018 MP?

Any feedback will be helpful, had someone take a brief look and was told it is an ABS sensor on the front near side wheel? Not sure how that impacts the sliding door and boot though!

Thanks
Ours is a 2018 MP too. It has happened a few times since, seemingly after a long drive so definitely something to do with the wheels or whatever getting hot though perhaps cruise control too. We haven't had the doors not work, just the ABS and cruise control.
It happened 2 weeks ago after a two and a half hour journey back from Devon, just a mile or so from home. I was approaching a roundabout on the A303, was braking, steering slightly to the right and going over rumble strips when the van went momentarily juddery and a slight loss of power then the warning came on. We got home fine and the light had gone by the next day. There is something in the handbook about turning the steering wheel to the R & L a few times while driving at a reasonable speed - can't say it has worked for us (and I worry the police will stop us as a potential drink driver Lol). How much does a new sensor cost?

RDJ321

Ours is a 2018 MP too. It has happened a few times since, seemingly after a long drive so definitely something to do with the wheels or whatever getting hot though perhaps cruise control too. We haven't had the doors not work, just the ABS and cruise control.
It happened 2 weeks ago after a two and a half hour journey back from Devon, just a mile or so from home. I was approaching a roundabout on the A303, was braking, steering slightly to the right and going over rumble strips when the van went momentarily juddery and a slight loss of power then the warning came on. We got home fine and the light had gone by the next day. There is something in the handbook about turning the steering wheel to the R & L a few times while driving at a reasonable speed - can't say it has worked for us (and I worry the police will stop us as a potential drink driver Lol). How much does a new sensor cost?
Euro Car Parts part number 417 22 1868 £57.99 Front Sensors ... R or L are the same.
Rear Sensors part number 417221878 £63.99
I did all 4
10% off with a code.
1 hour to fit each ... I'm not a mechanic but like to have a go! (youtube)